FORUMS: list search recent posts

Deleting Unseen Buried Layers

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Fanjoy
Deleting Unseen Buried Layers
on Oct 18, 2011 at 10:31:50 am

For a 3-camera synced shoot, I will will lay each camera's clips onto 3 layers of the timeline.

Once I complete the edit, is there any advantage deleting unused clips in the timeline? In other words, for a given take, I use Cam1. Same take for Cams 1 & 2 will never be used in this timeline.

I create a lot of graphics and animation over the single chosen take. Does deleting unused alternate camera clips improve rendering time? Will doing this improve loading the Project file each new session?

I create media intensive 30 minute programming. I scroll through and move around a TON of unused media. Interested in knowing if I gain any efficiencies doing this.

Thank you.

Wherever I am...I'm lost!

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
Re: Deleting Unseen Buried Layers
on Oct 18, 2011 at 1:19:09 pm

In theory, video unseen lower down will not be accessed for renders etc - but I'm not 100% convinced that's the case.

The easy way to solve this is to collapse the 3 video layers onto the V1 track, by first dragging V3 to V2, then V2 to V1. Maybe keep a version of the timeline uncollapsed by duplicating it.

If you want to get rid of unused media once this is done, use the media manager to create a managed project of only the angles used (ie. unclick the 'copy media outside selection' option).

Ben

Edit Out Ltd
----------------------------
FCP Editor/Trainer/System Consultant
EVS/VT Supervisor for live broadcast
RED camera transfer/post
Independent Director/Producer

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/community/communitydetails/?UserStoryId=87...

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 18, 2011 at 10:52:24 pm

There is a danger in collapsing that layers with changed opacity or composite modes should remain and not delete lower clips. There is software that automatically detects such clips and does an auto collapse. Can't remember the name but someone else might remember.

I looked into it as it is best to collapse before sending to Color to simplify the grade timeline. The main advantage is to tidy up and also if you media manage and delete unused, you will only end up with seen clips and not a whole lot of extra unseen media.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Oct 18, 2011 at 11:05:39 pm

And, there's yet another very important reason to lose the extra detritus from your timeline, especially anything that you've disabled. Printing to tape from the timeline will almost invariably fail if you have hidden or disabled clips on the timeline.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new Creative Cow Podcast: Bringing "The Whale" to the Big Screen:
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/Podcast-Series-2-MikeParfit...

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Mark Fanjoy
on Oct 18, 2011 at 11:09:06 pm

Yes, a "tidy up" mentality is what started this concept.

It SEEMS to me that aside from the media management benefit, that deleting these unused layer clips would improve the Project File performance.

I guess the best way to find out is duplicate the Sequence and whack away with a test Sequence.

Thanks for any additional insights and comments.

Wherever I am...I'm lost!

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 18, 2011 at 11:11:44 pm

http://www.av3software.com/products/editmule-auto-collapse-v2-0

Here's the software I was thinking of.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]