FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 7 not exporting right...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chuck Obernesser
FCP 7 not exporting right...
on Oct 18, 2011 at 1:00:55 am

Just upgraded to FCP 7. I know X is out there but waiting to hear better things about it. Here is my problem and if someone knows of a post I am sorry for asking again but there were a million and one posting on exporting. I am doing a show in HD on a Sony HDR-FX1 1080i60. I am importing with the apple intermediate codec 1080i60. When editing it looks like it is in a 16:9 format. Now comes the change since upgrading to 7. For the past 3 shows when exporting in the old version of FCP I used the Quicktime Conversion and choose DVC Pro-HD 1080i60 setting. When viewing the show with the old FCP export it stayed or exported at 16:9. I was very happy because the FX1 doesn't shoot in 16:9 and the result looked great on tv. Now with the new version I do the same steps except the end result is now 4:3 (has the black bars on the side) I know my client is not going to be happy about that. So does anyone know why this would be happening? I have tried the new codec that came with 7 and altered settings. The closest I came was that the video was 16:9 but the interlaced was very noticeable. I am going to keep testing but any guidance would be very much appreciated.

Thank you
Chuck

Return to posts index

hendrik magar
Re: FCP 7 not exporting right...
on Oct 18, 2011 at 6:30:35 pm

Problem is in pixel dimensions.

full HD is 1920x1080 (pixel aspect 1)
1080/60i is 1440x1080 (pixel aspect 0.75)

It is the same thing as in PAL and NTSC.
For example. Editing in PAL you always have the same framesize 720x576. But depending on a show (is it 4:3 or 16:9) we change pixel aspect, because the framesize is fixed. If you make 720x570 square pixel (pixel aspect 1) you wount get a 4:3 image nor 16:9. For 4:3 pixel aspect 0.9375 is needed and for 16:9 we need 0.7031. It means that pixel isn't a square, it's a rectangle.

NOW BACK TO YOUR CASE.
Full HD has square pixels. You have rectangle. FCP detects that and shows the right 16:9 image. Most of computer based playback systems do not understand it and they always play on SQUARE PIXEL MODE.

So make sure what kind of pixel dimension is required for your show. Then put the right settings while exporting (use compressor for exporting - there you can easily change all needed settings). Later on you can check the file inside FCP if the dimensions are right. Just import the exported file into FCP.

If you have to show a preview file to someone through computer, then just make a square pixel proxy file with compressor. (in inspector, under geometry tab put pixel aspect to square and type in some regular 16:9 framesize.....1280x720 or 640x360 or smt else)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]