FORUMS: list search recent posts

logging apple intermediate codec QT files

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Westport
logging apple intermediate codec QT files
on Oct 17, 2011 at 10:06:26 pm

I received huge QT apple intermediate codec files (25G) of raw HDV footage from a client. I want to log the individual shots and organize the footage. I tired importing the files into log and capture (FCP 7) but I receive an error message " (my file) contains unsupported media or has an invalid directory structure. Please choose a folder whose directory structure matches supported media."

I can drag the file directly into my project file or even into the timeline, but Im looking for an efficient way to break this file down into organizable shots besides cutting and naming individual shots from the timeline.
thanks for your input

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: logging apple intermediate codec QT files
on Oct 17, 2011 at 10:53:05 pm

You can only LOG AND TRANSFER from original tapeless media. And Log and Capture only from original source tapes. If the footage has already been captured...you need to import the footage into the application, and then open them into the VIEWER, and then "SUBCLIP" them.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Matt Westport
on Oct 17, 2011 at 11:22:01 pm

I understand.
forgive my inexperience here, but one of my goals is to reduce the amount of space these files are taking on my drive (and how much junk is currently sitting in the same files alongside the shots I need). Would there be any merit in re-importing the large file into something like iMovie, rough cutting the waste footage out, saving individual shots/locations in separate files, then importing only the clips I want back into FCP. My thought is that I could then have smaller source files permanently on my drive, thereby saving space in the long run.
Your thoughts?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 18, 2011 at 12:47:27 am

My thoughts? Subclip what you want. Then look up how to use the MEDIA MANAGER in the FCP manual...and the COPY option. Delete unused. That will give you only the footage that you want, named...and as individual clips.

Make sure the clips all have REEL numbers before you do this. They need that in order to work right.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]