FORUMS: list search recent posts

Playback delay in FCP 7.0.3

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick Plautz
Playback delay in FCP 7.0.3
on Oct 17, 2011 at 8:08:12 pm

I'm a longtime user of FCP and have just experienced this problem for the first time - in the last week. When I go to hit play in the Canvas window I get the beach ball for about 5 seconds before I get playback. It seems benign but it becomes violently annoying when you're trying to get a precise cut and you have to go back over one spot several times. Once I get it going I can use JKL to scrub with no problem, once I stop playback I have to wait again.

I've trashed the preferences, re-converted from ProRes to ProRes LT, changed my memory and RT playback settings, copied the files from the external drive to my hard drive, updated Quicktime codec settings (this morning), and down-converted the files from 1080 to 720.

Nothing. My computer was running Final Cut perfectly last week and I haven't installed anything since then.

Specs:
Mac Pro 2x2.4 GHz Quad core
OSX 10.6.8
6 GB RAM.

I can take the project downstairs to my three year old iMac running FCP6 and get realtime, responsive playback on the original ProRes 1080 files. Also, I'll get the same lag when I play certain ProRes files in Quicktime 7 Pro.

Is this the beginning of the end ofor FCP and QT7?!!?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Playback delay in FCP 7.0.3
on Oct 17, 2011 at 9:21:44 pm

You may have done something inadvertent like changed the background from black to alpha. Or changed the rt prefs to half rez or something.

Return to posts index

Rick Plautz
on Oct 17, 2011 at 10:02:00 pm

No already tried that and put them back. I tried to change the rez so I could watch it and still nothing. Just repaired disk permissions too as a precaution. Nothing. It's got to be some kind of bug with the internal quicktime player inside FCP I'm thinking. I can't think of anything I did recently to screw it up though.

I have Blackmagic drivers but no card and FCP keeps wanting to use those for playback but I had the drivers before I had this problem. I trashed the QT prefs too, including about 20 junk pref files for QT Player Xand the QT 7 prefs. I'm wondering if there's a driver inside of QT that's conflicting, like I have Flip4Mac but it hasn't been a problem ever.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 17, 2011 at 11:12:42 pm

Not to point out the obvious, but did you try pressing ctrl+q and choosing the appropriate preset? Then, open your sequence settings and load the corresponding sequence preset since the previous preset won't change existing sequences.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]