FORUMS: list search recent posts

No codec in FCP7 for dvcpro HD?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Philip Moran
No codec in FCP7 for dvcpro HD?
on Oct 17, 2011 at 11:39:02 am

I have some .avi files recorded direct to hard-drive from a Panasonic camera (don't remember model, but records to tape, format dvcpro HD) using Abobe Onlocation.
I can't import these to final cut and the video doesn't play using quicktime - audio works though.
Am sure it's a codec issue, but can't find a download that works anywhere and all the forums seem to say that the codec should already be installed with final cut anyway.
Would appreciate any help.

Mac Pro 2 x 3GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
OS X 10.6.8

Cheers, Phil M

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
Re: No codec in FCP7 for dvcpro HD?
on Oct 17, 2011 at 4:35:59 pm

AVI is just a wrapper, like Quicktime. FCP can ingest AVI files, but their playability depends on what codec was used inside of the wrapper. If you don't have the correct video codec the picture won't show. If you hear the audio then your system has the correct audio codec.

You'll need to download the video codec associated with the camera you shot and you should be good to go.

Ryan

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Oct 17, 2011 at 5:14:58 pm

Ryan is right, but is supposed that if you have FCP you have the DVCProHD codec.
That may be an issue of the AVI envelope.
Make a test.
Rewrap an AVI as QT.
Open the file in MPGStreamclip and "Save as: QT".
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Oct 17, 2011 at 9:29:53 pm

Agreed. You should have DVCPRO HD codecs if you have the FCP Studio. However, I've seen stranger things happen. You can easily check what codecs are installed just open a Finder window and go to your:
BootDrive/Library/Quicktime

In there you should 5 or 6 different DVCPROHD components. 1 of them should say DVCPROHDCodec.component

Ryan

Ryan
http://www.studio006.com
"Some men are born mediocre, some men achieve mediocrity, and some men have mediocrity thrust upon them."

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 17, 2011 at 10:01:53 pm

There is a big difference between the DVCPRO HD codec in FCP and the one from Adobe. They are not the same codec. You recorded with the ADOBE DVCPRO HD codec...not the FCP one. That is why you are having issues. You will need to convert this to a format FCP works with...from AVI to MOV...and on a machine that has Adobe CS and FCP, so that you have access to all the codecs.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Philip Moran
on Oct 18, 2011 at 4:58:40 am

Thanks Shane - looks like that must be my problem. Thanks for the help. Phil

Return to posts index

Philip Moran
on Oct 19, 2011 at 7:29:02 am

Hi Shane - you were spot on. I downloaded the trail version of CS5.5 from Adobe and was able to open the files and convert them to quicktime. All is good. Thanks for the help. Phil

Return to posts index

Philip Moran
on Oct 18, 2011 at 4:55:40 am

Thanks Ryan. I checked and I do have the codec. Also Raphael wrapper suggestion hasn't worked either. Very odd.

Return to posts index

Philip Moran
on Oct 18, 2011 at 4:48:15 am

Thanks Raphael. I tried this and had no joy. I have also checked that the .component file was present as in ryan's post. Am at a loss!

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Oct 18, 2011 at 3:46:22 pm

Hi Phil,
Shane has a lot of experience with DVCproHD stuff.
I would stick to his advice.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]