FORUMS: list search recent posts

Does the format I edit in matter if Im going to export with different settings to dvd

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan Coakley
Does the format I edit in matter if Im going to export with different settings to dvd
on Oct 17, 2011 at 3:00:21 am

Im editing some old analgoue home video tapes. At the minute im using
MpegStreamclip to rip the movie from the dvds ive recorded to. If I export the movie to final cut as a dv file I get a 19GB but If I use quicktime h.264 the file is only 1.6GB. Also the smaller file plays much quicker in the viewer for me whereas the dv file is fine too but only on the timeline when I play it in the viewer it stutters and freezes.
Should I just go ahead and work in the h.364 format.

advoce appreciated
Thanks

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: Does the format I edit in matter if Im going to export with different settings to dvd
on Oct 17, 2011 at 1:48:55 pm

NO.

FCP does not like working with non editing codecs.

Rip those DVD's to DV50 or Prores. You'll have better quality.
When done, export using "current settings" and drop that file into compressor to create your dvd files.

Always maintain the highest quality throughout the process.

If you shoot HD, but your going to SD DVD, you wouldn't lower the quality of the footage. If hard drive space is short, get some more.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Alan Coakley
Re: Does the format I edit in matter if Im going to export with different settings to dvd
on Oct 17, 2011 at 2:09:56 pm

Hey Thanks Chris
I took your advice and ripped using Apple prores 422. It worked excellently still a large file size but its much faster to work with.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]