FORUMS: list search recent posts

Super Blacks - legal broadcast

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
howard jackson
Super Blacks - legal broadcast
on Oct 16, 2011 at 12:40:48 am

I’ve read that blacks can go below 0 IRE into super blacks. I’ve color corrected the show. After applying the Broadcast Safe filter to the program as the final move I added the Image Control – Levels, set the Output tolerance to 97 as suggested. Problem is the entire program looks quite washed out after applying the Levels at 97.

My waveform monitor (FCP 6.06) ends at -10 but even if test and pull the black control all the way to -196 the waveform monitor shows all the blacks crushed at zero. There is no reading between 0 and -10.

There’s a number of important shots in the documentary, in the middle of the jungle and can never be redone, that are greatly improved by really crushing the blacks. How can tell if any go below 0? I want to eliminate using the Levels filter on the whole program if possible. Maybe just use it on those suspect shots that have been crushed significantly. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated?

Cheers, Howard

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Super Blacks - legal broadcast
on Oct 16, 2011 at 5:06:02 am

Hi Howard.
Superblack are illegal.
Apply the "RGB Limit" filter.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

howard jackson
on Oct 16, 2011 at 9:50:47 pm

Hi Rafael, thanks. Do you mean, don’t use ‘Image Control – Levels’ at the end - after Broadcast Safe filter - but use RGB Limit instead? Or do you mean use it just on those above-mentioned shots?
I have to admit I’m a bit confused on how to know whether I have superblacks considering my waveform monitor doesn’t register anything below 0. I’ve also read that superblack only applies to SD.
Any insights?
Cheers, Howard

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Oct 17, 2011 at 12:00:47 pm

[howard jackson] "Hi Rafael, thanks. Do you mean, don’t use ‘Image Control – Levels’ at the end - after Broadcast Safe filter - but use RGB Limit instead? Or do you mean use it just on those above-mentioned shots?"
The "Levels' filter makes no sense here.
The peaks you see in the "Parade" after applying the Broadcast safe filter (over 100% or below 0%), is not Luma, but RGB peaks which are illegal too.
Check the "RGB Limiting" on the Broadcast Safe filter, or better, apply the "RGB Limit" (Color Correction filters). Set Clamp Levels Below: 0% and Clamp Levels Above: 100%.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]