FORUMS: list search recent posts

Replacing stock footage samples with high-res purchased clips in moving split-screens: best workflow?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Benjamin Reichman
Replacing stock footage samples with high-res purchased clips in moving split-screens: best workflow?
on Oct 16, 2011 at 12:05:43 am

I'm working on a video series that incorporates a lot of stock footage in moving split-screen montages (all done in FCP 7 with the Motion tab).

We were using low-res watermarked sample clips for the edit, but now that we have client approval on the clips, we've purchased the high-res clips and need to drop them into the sequences.

What's the best way to do this? I don't want to re-keyframe everything if I don't have to. What's the best workflow?

Return to posts index

Mike Raff
Re: Replacing stock footage samples with high-res purchased clips in moving split-screens: best workflow?
on Oct 16, 2011 at 2:54:38 am

Do you know how to Paste Attributes? You might want to look it up, but it works like this:

1) Select the watermarked clip and copy it (CMD-C)

2) Replace watermarked clip with high res clip (edit overlay/blue button/F11)

3) Select high res clip in timeline

4)Edit>Paste Attributes>Basic Motion>OK

Mike Raff
Richmond, VA

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: Replacing stock footage samples with high-res purchased clips in moving split-screens: best workflow?
on Oct 16, 2011 at 12:45:20 pm

OR,

Drop the high-res final clip somewhere, anywhere in the sequence and select it and "copy"

Then,

Go to the place holder and "control click" on it and select paste attributes, choose "content" only.

done.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Benjamin Reichman
on Oct 17, 2011 at 12:15:42 am

Thanks for the tips, but I'm afraid they don't seem to have solved the keyframing problem.

Because the new high-res footage is a different resolution from the sample watermarked clips, pasting attributes results in keyframes that put the high-res clips in the wrong place in the frame. For example, a clip that is supposed to move from outside the frame on the left to the middle and then up and to the right is still doing that general motion, but it's no longer hitting the center of the frame, going all the off up and to the right, etc. because the clip's resolution is different. At least I think that's why it's happening. Hmmm...am I missing something?

Return to posts index

Jeff Meyer
on Oct 17, 2011 at 7:01:52 am

I would reconnect media from the watermarked proxy footage to the purchased footage. You'll have to adjust the SCALE because the resolution is different, and possibly the distort depending on what you came from and what you've got now. That said once you adjust the scale you should be set.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]