FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP is renaming clip files

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin Crowell
FCP is renaming clip files
on Oct 14, 2011 at 8:01:11 pm

Hi everybody,
I work in the Media Center at Swarthmore College. I have a few students who are editing video on multiple workstations, saving the project and media files to a server. The media files were pulled off an SD card, named and stored through "log and transfer".

A funny thing has started happening: A student was working on the project on one computer. The next day he came back, and several of the clips were disconnected. He tried to reconnect, but it appeared that the files had somehow become renamed. Clip file names had been swapped with other clip files. So, if he were to do the standard reconnect process, a clip of X would actually show up as a clip of Y, and vice versa. All of the clips in question are stored in the same folder.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on?
Thanks,
Justin

Mac Pro
FCP 7

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: FCP is renaming clip files
on Oct 14, 2011 at 9:17:01 pm

There was a clip rename bug in FCP 7.0 when it was first released and would happen when a graphic or still was the first event in the timeline.

Get the college to make sure FCP is updated to 7.0.3 which is the final version of 7 and free from that and other bugs.

Return to posts index

Justin Crowell
on Oct 14, 2011 at 9:24:28 pm

Thanks for the response, Michael.

I administer these computers, and they're all up to 7.0.3 (I actually had just checked this morning). This also seems to be happening with multiple clips, randomly placed along the timeline.
Thanks,
Justin

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 14, 2011 at 9:51:31 pm

Were the cards backed up to the server first or Log & Transfer off the cards? This shouldn't matter to the renaming issue but recapture in L&T will be a problem if it isn't looking for the files from a specific drive, so if the cards were used and they no longer exist that makes the recapture process a problem.

File name swapping is a weird bug I haven't heard of before and may be an issue in a server environment. Others may have a clue.

Return to posts index

Justin Crowell
on Oct 27, 2011 at 2:08:25 am

Hmm that's a really good question. I'll have to ask the students involved.

Thanks for all of the help. At this point I'm sort of just waiting to see if it happens again. I'll keep you all posted!
-Justin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]