FORUMS: list search recent posts

Workflow Suggestions?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Barbara Still
Workflow Suggestions?
on Oct 13, 2011 at 2:03:02 pm

I’m editing a short film that was shot on 1080i HD. My iMac has a 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, with 2 GB of ram. I’m using FCP 7. I’m also storing all footage on a shared server which slows editing down considerably, and the iMac itself doesn’t have a lot of free space. I also have a limited amount of time within which to work – roughly 5 hours to cut the final edit. The final product is for SD DVD, projected onto a big wall. Can you give any workflow suggestions? I’ve heard of MPEG Streamclip but not sure how it can help.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: Workflow Suggestions?
on Oct 13, 2011 at 3:33:17 pm

[Barbara Still] "I’m editing a short film that was shot on 1080i HD"

That does not say a lot. There are so many flavors of HD these days. I will take a wild guess and say that this HD footage is .h264 or some type of Long GOP codec.

Your scratch disc should be a dedicated external FW800 hard drive. A RAID is highly recommended. The server will cause you nothing but trouble.

I don't know how much time you have spent on this project or how far along you are, ProRes is the best choice to edit efficiently in FCP 7.

As far as your footage, it all depends on which camera it was shot with. You may be able to use Log and Transfer to transcode to ProRes. The other alternative is MPEG Streamclip.

You will need to add a considerable amount of RAM to your system. At least 8 Gig.

[Barbara Still] "I also have a limited amount of time within which to work – roughly 5 hours to cut the final edit"

That's not a lot of time. Unless the piece is a couple minutes.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Henry Smenry
Re: Workflow Suggestions?
on Oct 17, 2011 at 9:56:52 am

Make 720p Apple xd-cam EX proxyfiles with streamclip. (these are smaller than PRORES). Edit offline with proxys and before exporting reconnect to RAW footage.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]