FORUMS: list search recent posts

Flickering/stuttering playback

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Deborah Miller
Flickering/stuttering playback
on Oct 13, 2011 at 3:32:51 am

Hi
I'm having flickering or stuttering and black frames during playback in my viewer window.
I started out working on a very large project with mostly apple pro res proxy or LT clips but since have reduced the project size a lot but it didn't solve the problem. I'm not getting this problem with any other smaller sized projects, so it seems to be related to the amount of media in the original project. This happens regardless whether I am outputting to a monitor and whether or not the media needs to be rendered. I am not editing with audio. These are some of the things I've done that help the problem but hasn't solved it.

* Create a new project and drag sequences into it
* Break out media into smaller projects
* Close other open projects
* Put clips into codec appropriate sequences so I don't have unrendered material
* Turn off thumbnails
* Don't have a lot of open sequences

I can get the flickering to stop if I let it "rest" for a little bit or close the sequence and reopen or close all other open sequences but it's unpredictable when it will start again. I've trashed prefs and updated my AJA driver.
I'm working on a 2 x 2.4GHz Quad-Core, with 16GB of memory and using FCP 7.0.3

Thanks Much for your help!

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Flickering/stuttering playback
on Oct 13, 2011 at 5:53:24 am

Most important details are missing. Hard drive type, how it is connected, frame size and frame rate and your playbeack settings (unlimited RT etc)

Return to posts index

Alexis Revitsky
on Oct 13, 2011 at 11:02:08 am

Do you get an error message that pops up when your playback flickers?

If you do, you may have a dropped frame issue. I've had that message pop up once during jumpy playback and it was a dropped frame issue. If that's what you're seeing you could turn it off.

Return to posts index

Deborah Miller
on Oct 13, 2011 at 9:36:00 pm

@ Alexis - I do not get an error message during playback about dropped frames.

@ Michael - I've got a CalDigit HDOne Media with a proprietary connection. I'm working at 1920x1080, 23.98 and it doesn't matter if I have it in Safe RT or Unlimited. I did however just find the the issue goes away when I put it in Medium video quality which is fine for this project.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 14, 2011 at 4:43:38 am

I presume you mean esata as the proprietary connector on the CalDigit. ProRes at that frame rate will work off a FW800 drive so if it is the drive, with esata then that might indicate a drive problem or have you updated an OS and not updated the drivers for the Hard drive.

Either way I would make sure you have an up to date driver for the CalDigit

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]