FORUMS: list search recent posts

Multiclip issues with tapeless workflow?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Harnick
Multiclip issues with tapeless workflow?
on Oct 13, 2011 at 12:36:12 am

Hi all -

I do a fair amount of multi-cam editing using multiclip, and have had no issues with it. I typically shoot on my Sony Z5's. This past shoot we incorporated two NX5's into the mix, and I noticed that the native footage from the NX5's seemed to make the multiclip sluggish and then finally stop playing. I assumed the problem was the compression, so I exported the NX5 clips as Quicktimes, similar to the native Quicktimes I get when importing from my Z5, in hopes that the codecs would all match and I'd get better performance. No dice. Sluggish and halts after about 5-10 seconds of play in multiclip mode. I rendered the clip out, thinking it was a render issue, I've changed the playback settings to allow for smoother play...nothing changes.

I'm new to the tapeless workflow, and I'm hoping one of you might have a fix for this. Thanks!

- Matt

Return to posts index

Mark Raudonis
Re: Multiclip issues with tapeless workflow?
on Oct 13, 2011 at 2:59:12 am

This probably has less to do with "multiclip" and more to do with the throughput of your drives.

You don't say how many streams of multiclip you're trying. 3? 5? 15?

More info needed to trouble shoot.

Mark

Return to posts index

Matthew Harnick
on Oct 13, 2011 at 7:19:22 am

Hi Mark -

I've worked with at least 10 streams of video before with my drives, using HDV footage captured from my Z5, so I'm not believing that's the issue, but they're 7200 RPM drives connected via FW800. I'm currently working with 3 streams...I believe it's the way my iMac is dealing with the NX5's codecs...even though the video has been exported as FCP Quicktimes...as I thought that would alleviate the problem, which it hasn't. Appreciate the response...what else can I tell you?

Matt

- Matt

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Oct 13, 2011 at 12:47:03 pm

What is an "FCP QuickTime"?

Try transcoding to Apple ProRes 422... or is that what you meant?

Return to posts index

Matthew Harnick
on Oct 13, 2011 at 1:48:34 pm

Yes - exported and re-encoded using ProRes...that's what I get for posting at 3AM...appreciate you asking for clarification.

- Matt

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Oct 14, 2011 at 12:33:25 am

What is the frame size of your footage?

Is it HDV sized (1440 x 1080) or normal HD sized (1920 x 1080)? Sometimes Pro Res at 1440 can be problematic.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]