FORUMS: list search recent posts

External HD

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Colin Kelly
External HD
on Oct 12, 2011 at 7:36:22 pm

For the past year I have been doing some pretty small edits, for free, on my own time. This next year I have some paying clients and I need to change the way I back up my video files.

I started using a Lacie rugged 500gb. It has worked fine for what I was doing, but using HD video from DSLR cameras and converting to ProRes422, as we all know, takes up much more space. I have a 2TB Seagate now, but my question is this.

My iMac only has one FW800 port. I want to make sure all my files are backed up across my Lacie, Seagate, and another yet to be determined external hard drive. How can I hook all three hard drives up when my desktop computer only has 1 FW800 port?

I know USB is NOT the way to go when editing video. Now, Im new at this, so I apologize for this next question.

What is a RAID and is this the route I need to go in order to securely have ALL my files spread across my three drives? I've read something about a RAID 1 and how it saves to all drives?

Any suggestions on RAID drives that would be good for a moderately busy video editor?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: External HD
on Oct 12, 2011 at 7:54:02 pm

One of the best things about FW800 is that several can be daisy-chained in-line together.

If you notice, all FW800 drives have two FW800 connectors on the back of each enclosure. Consider one connector to be the input and output from the computer, and the second to be the input and output to a second drive. The second connection on the second drive can also accommodate yet another drive, and so on so forth.

A RAID is a number of drives striped together to form a single larger virtual drive, with increased throughput depending on the number of drives striped together. Two drives striped together have approximately 2X the throughput of a single drive, and thus eight drives striped together will give vastly increased throughput and vast amount of storage on what the system perceives as a single huge volume.

Most important of all, the vast increase in throughput equals a vast increase in realtime performance. The increases above are offset somewhat by the increased risk of a one or more hard drives failing, and that is offset in more expensive RAIDs by schemes such as RAID 5 & RAID 6 that are considered protected RAID configurations, i.e. RAID 5 can protect against a single drive failure and RAID 6 can protect against two drive failures.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new Creative Cow Podcast: Bringing "The Whale" to the Big Screen:
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/Podcast-Series-2-MikeParfit...

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Colin Kelly
on Oct 12, 2011 at 8:00:33 pm

Thanks David! I follow your posts frequently and am so glad YOU responded! You mentioned that all FW800 drives have two enclosures.

My Lacie and Seagate HD's only have 1 FW800 port (as well as my iMac). Is this common? Both of them have USB ports, which I DO NOT want to use. Does this mean I need HD's that have multiple FW800 ports?

Thanks again, David!

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Oct 12, 2011 at 8:17:19 pm

[Colin Kelly] "Does this mean I need HD's that have multiple FW800 ports?"

Well, I guess I should have said "most" FW800 do have two, but if yours do not, you will need to acquire at least one that does have two FW800 connections.

I'm not a huge fan of firewire, but they do the job until one can invest in a more substantial and robust hard drive configuration. If you read my blog entry at http://blogs.creativecow.net/blog/3643/rip-firewire you'll understand a bit about my feelings on the subject.

[Colin Kelly] "Thanks David! I follow your posts frequently and am so glad YOU responded!"

You're very welcome Colin. Come back and call on me anytime. I'm always glad to help.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Colin Kelly
on Oct 12, 2011 at 8:21:32 pm

Any advice on specific SATA RAID's? Do you find one company to be particularly better than an other? One you trust more? Im not worried about cost when it comes to securely storing my footage and saving time to focus on the creativity end.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Nick Price
on Oct 12, 2011 at 9:22:43 pm

Hi Colin,
i am a big fan of Gtech hard drives. I still have one G-tech G-raid working fine since i bought it in 2004! G-Raids are super fast and have a silent fan in them to keep the drive cool. The also have 2 firewires and an eSata (although with you iMac that wont be much use, much quicker than firewire though). YOu can get 4TB versions now which should keep you going for a while.

When working with card media, I tend to have 2 drives. Drive 1 with the card media one, and Drive 2 with the transcoded rushes on. Once ive finished editing i consolidate the rushes on drive 2 possibly to a 3rd drive where i archive all my programmes and then i can delete the rushes from drive 2. I always keep the card media on drive 1. It will get full after a while but drives are so cheap nowerdays.

cheers
nick

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Oct 12, 2011 at 9:58:22 pm

You can also have 1 FW drive to edit off of.
Plug in an USB drive to just back up to or clone the FW drive.
Long term archive only needs to be the original card media, not the mov's.

We put Raw Cam files on 2 separate drives on the shelf and spin them up every few months.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

consuelo gonzalez
on Oct 20, 2011 at 12:58:39 am

Nick,
Perhaps you can help me. I'm using a G Raid ext. hard drive. It ran out of room.
So I transferred and deleted A LOT of media off it. But it still says 0 KB available.
I remember there's something one should do when this happens...but what????

I don't know where else to post this.

THANK YOU.

Consuelo

Return to posts index

Nick Price
on Oct 20, 2011 at 7:24:14 am

Hi
I presume you have also selected 'empty trash'

If there is definitely nothing on your drive that you want to keep use disc utility to erase/format the drive

Nick

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Oct 12, 2011 at 10:08:45 pm

[Colin Kelly] "Any advice on specific SATA RAID's? Do you find one company to be particularly better than an other? One you trust more? Im not worried about cost when it comes to securely storing my footage and saving time to focus on the creativity end."

This is not a paid advert for Creative Cow and its advertisers Colin, but honestly, the RAID manufacturers that advertise on the FCP Forum are among the best and most reliable around.

I completely rely on my dependable CalDigit HDOne 8-drive RAID, configured as RAID 5. It has proven to be 100% reliable since the first day I installed it. Here's my review: http://library.creativecow.net/articles/weiss_roth_david/caldigit_HDOne.php.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]