FORUMS: list search recent posts

Unable to Play a QT File on New Macs

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Hughes
Unable to Play a QT File on New Macs
on Oct 11, 2011 at 6:39:16 pm

I just finished cutting a program for a client on FC. It's a twelve minute program, a 3.5G file. I put it as a QT file on a USB flash drive. He just loaded it to his brand new Mac and it gave us this error message, The document "Branson Admissions Video 2011.mov" could not be opened. The movie is not in a format that QuickTime Player understands.
You may need to install additional software to open this type of file.

We also tried it on a brand new MacBook Pro.

It loads to our Macs and plays fine. The only difference I can see is that our Macs are older. Also, our Macs have FC on them, his doesn't. Does that make any difference?

What do I need to do to get this to load and play on his Mac? tx

Thomas H

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
Re: Unable to Play a QT File on New Macs
on Oct 11, 2011 at 6:46:14 pm

The reason is that without FCP you do not have all codecs available, PRORES for example comes with FCP and will not play as standard.
So you need to export in something that is standard in QuickTime. H264 for example or any of the Apple Tv export settings will work.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Oct 11, 2011 at 6:46:41 pm

[Thomas Hughes] "It loads to our Macs and plays fine. The only difference I can see is that our Macs are older. Also, our Macs have FC on them, his doesn't. Does that make any difference?
"

Sure, it makes huge difference. There are a number of codecs that only become available on systems when FCP is installed.

You failed to mention which codec you edited and delivered to your client. That's essential info for us.

Was it HDV by any chance??? If so, that's certainly one of the codecs those codecs that's installed when FCP is installed.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new Creative Cow Podcast: Bringing "The Whale" to the Big Screen:
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/Podcast-Series-2-MikeParfit...

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Oct 11, 2011 at 8:25:53 pm

Checkout this Adobe link re getting Pro Res codecs without a Pro App. Read down the entire page.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Oct 11, 2011 at 8:55:28 pm

[John Fishback] "Checkout this Adobe link re getting Pro Res codecs without a Pro App. Read down the entire page."

Hey John!

How do we know he's using ProRes? Neil is the only one here who mentioned it. Thomas has not actually mentioned what codec he's editing or delivering.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Oct 11, 2011 at 9:13:08 pm

The .mov mystery!

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Oct 11, 2011 at 9:21:25 pm

[Steve Eisen] "The .mov mystery!
"

Indeed!

If I only had a nickel for all the times I've had to ask this most important question I'd be a rich man.

And, if I had a dollar for every new poster who was afraid to admit they have no idea what a codec is I'd be a bit richer too.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Thomas Hughes
on Oct 11, 2011 at 9:50:41 pm

Thank you very much everyone for responding to my question. We went ahead and redid the QT file using h264. I just gave it to my client on a USB flash drive. I expect when he tries it it will be fine. My editor was a little concerned saying that h264 may not look the best. Does that sound right? Is there another codec we could use that would look the best and definitely play on my client's Macs? tx

Thomas H

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Oct 11, 2011 at 10:14:54 pm

So long as they transfer the file off the flash drive.

Don't want to hear: "when I play the file, it stutters."

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
on Oct 12, 2011 at 12:54:00 pm

Hi Thomas

The problem with your question, as David points out, is that you have not told us the format of your pictures or what codec you have used or delivered in the first instance.
Quicktime is in effect a container that can support many different file types and formats. So there are many variables.
So its impossible to say what will be best as we dont know what you have in the first place.

FCP offers additional encoding options over those supported by the standard Quicktime player. ProRes was the example that I gave as one that falls into this category.
So it is possible for you to create a file that will not play on the standard player.
H264 was the example I gave of something that will play on the standard player, your client should have no issue with that.
However the quality of that file will depend on the parameters used to create it.
So what seems a simple question is actually a little trickier to answer than it may first appear.

Hope that makes sense

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

Brad Elliott
on Oct 13, 2011 at 7:12:04 pm

In my opinion H264 is one of the best cross platform deliverables out there.

The caveat with the PC is that some version of QT may not be installed on the PC or the end user cannot circumvent the IT restrictions to install the free version.

DG accepts HD H264 files for broadcast and trust me when I say they are
very particular when it comes to what they will accept.

In my experience the quality of a H264 file is based on how you compress it not the limitations of the codec. There can be exceptions based on your source but these two rules apply more often than not to most situations.

1)Data rate and file size effect each other proportionately.
The higher the data rate the larger the file size and usually the better the quality.
2)Lower the data rate enough and you will see quality issues in your end export.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Oct 11, 2011 at 10:40:53 pm

You're right, David. I jumped before looking. Anyway, it's an interesting link for those needing Pro Res without Pro Apps.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Thomas Hughes
on Oct 19, 2011 at 6:48:45 pm

I greatly appreciate everyone's help on this. We redid it using H.264 and it worked, the client was happy. A few days later, the tech who was in charge of showing it pointed out to me that whenever there's aggressive movement in the video, the picture degrades and we see fine horizontal lines/jagged edges. This occurs only when there's fast movement. So we need to redo it. How do I fix that?

Here are my settings:

Field Acquisition: XDCAM disc - 1440x1080. We cut it in FC using ProRes422. The first QT version we created for the client, the one that wouldn't play on their new Macs was done with these settings:

Window Title: All5.mov - Inspector
All5.mov
Source: /Volumes/2TB Buffalo/Branson/QT Files/All5.mov
Format: Apple XDCAM HD 1080i60(35 mb/s VBR), 1440x1080 (1888x1062), millions
16 bit integer (little endian), stereo, 48.000 kHz
FPS: 29.97
Playing FPS: (available while playing.)
Data Size: 3.25GB
Data Rate: 35.35 mbits/s
Current Time: 0:00:00:00.00
Duration: 0:00:13:09.15
Normal Size: 1920x1080 Pixels
Current Size: 1920x1080 Pixels (actual)

And here are the settings used when we redid it in h.264. This version worked for them but with the compromised picture during the fast moving scenes:

Window Title: Video 2011 QT.mov - Inspector
Video 2011 QT.mov
Source: /Volumes/2TB Buffalo/Branson/QT Files/
Branson Admissions Video 2011 QT.mov
Format: 16-bit integer (little endian), stereo (LR), 48.000 kHz
h.264, 1920x1080, millions
FPS: 29.97
Playing FPS: (available while playing.)
Data Size: 3.52GB
Data Rate: 38.34 mbits/s
Current Time: 0:00:00:00.00
Duration: 0:00:13:09.15
Normal Size: 1920x1080 Pixels
Current Size: 1920x1080 Pixels (actual)

Perhaps worthy of note: My editor said that the first version, the one that wouldn't play for them at all, she created the QT file from the timeline, the sequence. The second one, the h.264 version that played for them but with picture breakup where there was fast movement, she created the QT file from the first QT file, not from the timeline/sequence. She's the tech and thinks this is a non-issue. Yes? No?

Thank you

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]