FORUMS: list search recent posts

Regular Kernel Panic

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Harrington
Regular Kernel Panic
on Oct 11, 2011 at 4:14:39 pm

Working on huge jobs with final deadline approaching, been trying to keep system clean, safe boot, disc utilities repair permissions, etc. Been having regular Kernel Panics the past few day, 4 of them.

Obviously something is up. Thinking of reinstalling Matrox. Also seems to happen at times when adjusting Coremelt filters.I'll also run Disc Warrior.

Any thoughts.

Michael Harrington
Mac Pro, Dual Quad-Core Intel Xeon 2.66 GHz, 12 GB, FCP7, Snow Leopard, ATI Radeon HD 4870, 30-inch Cine Display, 4 - 1TB internal, G Speed 6TB Raid 5, 1.25TB Esata, Numerous FW 800 external drives, Matrox MX02Max, FSI 17" Broadcast Monitor, Black Magic Mini Sync Generator, Mackie 1402 & Event 20/20 monitors.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Regular Kernel Panic
on Oct 11, 2011 at 9:27:42 pm

Kernel panics are not, and should not, be a recurring theme on any Mac Michael. You have a problem somewhere, somehow.

How large are the "huge jobs" you're referring to?

Uninstalling and reinstalling Matrox drivers is not a bad idea BTW. It takes just a minute or two, and there are times when installing the latest version fixes something that may have had a minor update last time you ran Apple Software Update.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new Creative Cow Podcast: Bringing "The Whale" to the Big Screen:
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/Podcast-Series-2-MikeParfit...

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Michael Harrington
on Oct 11, 2011 at 11:15:26 pm

I was running a Beta version of Matrox the past few month in an effort to solve the dreaded static audio that happens when playing, stopping, playing quickly or quickly next/previous edits then play. I'm also having problems with my FSI monitor not updating as I color correct, have to reselect the timeline to get the monitor to update even-though the canvas updates. Anyway, I spoke with Matrox customer support, very helpful, and guided me to the most current version for my Matrox Max. So far the day has been without incident.

The problem was compounded by the fact that my canvas and/or viewer window will sometimes glitch green which of course shows up on my FSI. So I got Apple on the phone and convinced them to replace my ATI Radeon HD 4870.

Murphy has taken up residence and of course all this after 8 months work with just 3 days to review final with client.

The job is actually 3 jobs, DVD's, separate projects shot on XDCAM and Go Pro approx 50hours, another on combination of XDCAM, P2, Z1U and JVC 80hr, the third is all HDV tape. Everything has been captured or converted to ProRes. Graphics are a combination Animation and ProRes, PS. AE, etc. FCP file sizes for each project are 120 - 150mb.

I'll spend another sleepless night playing catch up and will report if the kernels continue, just hope my graphics card holds up till the new one arrives.

Michael Harrington
Mac Pro, Dual Quad-Core Intel Xeon 2.66 GHz, 12 GB, FCP7, Snow Leopard, ATI Radeon HD 4870, 30-inch Cine Display, 4 - 1TB internal, G Speed 6TB Raid 5, 1.25TB Esata, Numerous FW 800 external drives, Matrox MX02Max, FSI 17" Broadcast Monitor, Black Magic Mini Sync Generator, Mackie 1402 & Event 20/20 monitors.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Oct 12, 2011 at 2:11:29 am

Hi Michael,
I suggested few days ago to use DiskWarrior or TechTools.
I expected David to back my advice. Hi knows well the benefits of these maintenance routines.
A minimal error in your MacOsX may be causing all this, and no hardware replacement or new drivers will fix it.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Oct 12, 2011 at 2:20:38 am

Yes, Rafael is correct. I do support his opinion on the use those tools. They are certainly worth a try. I suspect you may have some other issue however.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new Creative Cow Podcast: Bringing "The Whale" to the Big Screen:
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/Podcast-Series-2-MikeParfit...

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Michael Harrington
on Oct 12, 2011 at 2:34:51 am

Glad you brought that up, I've got a question.

I have a old version, then updated it in 09 for Intel. Today I purchased current version and opted for download and DVD, The DVD arrives in about a week. When I begin to run the download version it prompts me indicating the need to deselect the ownership in the get info screen. When I get info there is no ownership at all listed like with my other drives. Kinda strange. Am I missing something?

Any thoughts?

Michael Harrington

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Oct 13, 2011 at 6:19:54 am

Hi Michael,
Below "Sharing & Permissions", don't you find (grayed): Ignore ownership on this volume?
rafael

Return to posts index

Michael Harrington
on Oct 13, 2011 at 11:52:33 am

No "Ignore ownership on this volume". Very strange, I don't know if there's some setting to cause this?

Michael Harrington

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Oct 13, 2011 at 2:01:15 pm

Hi Michael,
From where are you launching the application?
rafael

Return to posts index

Michael Harrington
Re: gular Kernel Panic
on Oct 13, 2011 at 2:19:12 pm

When I launch DW from newly downloaded ver it prompts me to "uncheck Ignore...". Under get info and at bottom of window the "ignore" is not there. I see it on my other drives but not Sys drive.

I believe this requirement is only necessary in download ver, not from disc?

Michael Harrington

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: gular Kernel Panic
on Oct 13, 2011 at 3:37:10 pm

[Michael Harrington] "When I launch DW from newly downloaded ver it prompts me to "uncheck Ignore...". Under get info and at bottom of window the "ignore" is not there. I see it on my other drives but not Sys drive."
But are you launching the app from the same System HD that you want to fix?
That doesn't works like that.
The HDs must be unmounted to be fixed.
You can fix external HDs from wherever, but to fix a system HD, you must run the app from a CD/DVD, or from other System HD.
I boot from an external HD with MacOsX installed. Running the app from a CD is very slow.
rafael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]