FORUMS: list search recent posts

Chronic Audio / Video Lag in FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Hoag
Chronic Audio / Video Lag in FCP
on Oct 10, 2011 at 8:29:11 pm

Hey all.

So lately I've been running into an extremely obnoxious, tedious problem in FCP 7.0.3. I'm cutting on a Mac Pro Dual Core Intel Xeon 3 gHz with 8 gigs of RAM. My graphics card definitely needs replacing (only 512mb), and all my audio is routed through the M-Audio ProFire 2626, as I run a recording studio as well.

I've been doing a lot of music videos lately, and started noticing that the playhead seems to lag behind the audio and video tracks. It's a bit hard to explain, but essentially more often than not I try and play back footage cut to a .wav, and the video lags behind the audio. If I stop and scrub the playhead back a bit, the video is in sync with the audio.

Clearly, this is a problem. It creates a huge kink in my editing workflow, and sometimes things appear to be off time so I move them just to find that the culprit was the lag all along. It's really frustrating and ruining my FCP experience. I've never had this problem on any other system but my own... go figure.

I'm in the middle of cutting an a capella video where the artists is singing 10 different a capella parts of a song. He sent the footage to me via my FTP server and had already cut all the clips to the beginning of the song, which he included for me. Therefore, all I should have to do is drop all the clips in FCP, drop in the mastered .wav, and cut in and out as the singing in the clips starts and stops. However, because of what I suspect is this lag, the footage goes in and out of time helter skelter as I edit.

I know this is a long post, just trying to provide the details I'm sure I'll get asked about. If anyone has a solution, please please please! I'm willing to try anything to remedy this horrible problem.

Thanks guys!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved