FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 7: Entire Project Now Black

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mac McDougal
FCP 7: Entire Project Now Black
on Oct 10, 2011 at 7:06:11 pm

Hi all, I searched the Forum using "render," "black screen," "missing files," and didn't find anything pertinent. Today, I opened an existing project. Timeline looks good, no red "unrendered" bars. Audio is good. But when I put the cursor in the Timeline and hit play, it shows nothing but a black screen in the Canvas. Any ideas? It's only four months of work, no biggie.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: FCP 7: Entire Project Now Black
on Oct 10, 2011 at 7:24:34 pm

As I asked you in your other post with this same question, have you tried trashing preferences?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new Creative Cow Podcast: Bringing "The Whale" to the Big Screen:
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/Podcast-Series-2-MikeParfit...

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Mac McDougal
on Oct 10, 2011 at 9:49:35 pm

Hi David,

Sorry to be so gosh-darn ignorant, but "have you tried trashing preferences" is not detailed enough for me. There are six tabs in the Prefs window, with multiple dropdowns/radio buttons/text fields on each one. The only way I can think of to "trash preferences" is to take my stinking Macintosh, climb to the top of a tall building, and re-do Galileo's famous experiment. Actually, I'm on my way out of FCP hell; it keeps "losing" render files, something on the order of 200 in the present project--and given its rendering inefficiencies, having to do these tasks over and over has finally pushed me out of the fold. Hello, Avid.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Oct 10, 2011 at 11:20:11 pm

[Mac McDougal] "The only way I can think of to "trash preferences" is to take my stinking Macintosh, climb to the top of a tall building, and re-do Galileo's famous experiment"

DigitalRebellion will help you trash your prefs. It's VERY simple to do. From what you are describing about your system, it could really use it. If you have any favorites, back them up first.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Greg Funk
on Mar 16, 2014 at 11:30:30 pm

Hey David, I just wanted you to know that I was having issues w/my whole screen going black as soon as Final Cut Pro was opened. I came across this forum and your advice to trash preferences, and your advice to check out DigitalRebellion was spot on. Thank you for your great advice. Cheers!

G Funk
https://www.facebook.com/gregfunkpercussion

Return to posts index

Joe Barta IV
on Oct 10, 2011 at 7:25:50 pm

I've only had this happen to one clip, not an entire project. Try forcing it to RECONNECT MEDIA and use LOCATE to point it right to the clip you want.

Good luck mate.

Bars & Tone
SALUTE!

Return to posts index

Daniel Sametz
on Oct 10, 2011 at 7:34:39 pm

you probably have the wireframe option selected on the canvas, chance to image+wireframe or the image one. Hope that´s the problem

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Oct 10, 2011 at 7:39:37 pm

[Daniel Sametz] "you probably have the wireframe option selected on the canvas, chance to image+wireframe or the image one. Hope that´s the problem"

Whatever option he accidently toggled on would be restored to the factory default if he simply trashes prefs as I've recommended.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new Creative Cow Podcast: Bringing "The Whale" to the Big Screen:
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/Podcast-Series-2-MikeParfit...

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Daniel Sametz
on Oct 10, 2011 at 7:47:41 pm

That´s true David :)

Return to posts index

Mac McDougal
on Oct 11, 2011 at 3:51:36 pm

Thx Daniel, You're right! How in the world that button got pushed is a mystery.

Thanks David for your advice to trash prefs.

Finally, thanks Steve Eisen for telling me about Digital Rebellion.

Return to posts index

Lillian Young
on Mar 6, 2013 at 9:46:26 pm

Thanks, Daniel. I must've hit a shortcut key to make that happen. Working on a deadline so you helped me tremendously.

Video/Motion Graphics Editor

Return to posts index

Daniel Sametz
on Mar 6, 2013 at 11:15:10 pm

No problem. I'm glad it helped. :)

Return to posts index

Victor Daruwala
on Jan 11, 2016 at 10:36:24 am

This post made the most sense. thanks for the help. Problem solved :)

Return to posts index

Mac McDougal
on Oct 10, 2011 at 9:53:18 pm

Hi Joe, Thanks for the help. I actually already did this. I'm just hoping I don't have to do it for every edited clip in this four hour online course. BTW, FCP7 seems to "lose" clips at random. I don't move any media, but if I save a project and then log back in the next day, I'll get the dreaded "X clips and N render files are missing". Is this a known issue, or am I just uniquely incompetent?

Return to posts index

Joe Barta IV
on Oct 11, 2011 at 1:16:12 pm

We've only had some issues with "lost clips at random" when we started using Final Cut Server. It turns out it's not FCP that looses the clips, it is usually some other software (server or auto-backup) that is altering the file name, especially the render files. Even if something just checks your file then assigns it a new "Last Opened Date" it is enough of an alteration to make the clip or render file no longer associated with the FCP project when you open it up again. It was very frustrating for a week until we figured out what was going on, since then we've had very few lost clip incidences.

Bars & Tone
SALUTE!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]