FORUMS: list search recent posts

Vixia HF s21 24p AVCHD Workflow Question

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Bercaw
Vixia HF s21 24p AVCHD Workflow Question
on Oct 10, 2011 at 4:53:17 pm

Hi guys, long time reader, first time poster.

I recently purchased a Vixia HF s21. At first I had been filming at 1920x1080 30p at 24mbps and transferring the footage on Final Cut's ProRes 422 codec.

I recently began filming with some people who use DSLRs and shoot at 24 frames, so I changed the Vixia to 24p. I immediately found that the 24p footage would always transfer to Final Cut at 29.97. I researched it a bit and found a few FAQs about it as well as ways to deal with it. I'm not too tech-savvy though so a lot of it didn't make sense, and now I'm looking for assurance or advice as to my method:

The workflow I eventually found that seemed solid said to transfer in Final Cut using HDV - 1080i60, then take that footage into Compressor. In Compressor, apply ProRes 422, manually change the fps to 23.976, and set the deinterlace to reverse telecine. I did this for identical clips, one transferred into Final Cut as ProRes 422 (the way I used to do it) and one transferred as the recommended 1080i60. When viewing them next to one another I decided that the 1080i60 had slightly less detail and contrast to it, so I started using this workflow:

[Vixia] 1920x1080 24p 24mbps
[Final Cut] Apple ProRes
[Compressor] Apple ProRes Custom 23.976/Reverse Telecine
Back to Final Cut

Is this an acceptable strategy for getting the most out of my footage? Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]