FORUMS: list search recent posts

copied video files to a external hard drive

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Roy
copied video files to a external hard drive
on Oct 8, 2011 at 5:56:41 pm

I copied my FCP project file along with the videos in the capture scratch to an external hard drive.
When I opened my FCP project it showed videos were offline. When I went to reconnect to the original video file, the video file had been changed with different footage. The orginal footage is missing, though the name of the clip is the same. It appears that it had been copied over with other footage from another clip I have. Not sure why this is happening, don't know how to get my original footage back on the clip it was on. For example Clip #80 know has the same footage that Clip #40 has.

Anyone have any ideas?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: copied video files to a external hard drive
on Oct 8, 2011 at 6:07:16 pm

Your issue is most likely caused by improper logging/naming conventions.

Characters such as #,@, %,&, etc. are known as illegal characters and maybe the cause.

And, if your clips have no reel numbers that may also be the cause.

Also, when moving projects, the proper way to accomplish the job to completely avoid all hassles with relinking is to use the Move function in Media Manager.

Also, in the future you need to tell us what version of FCP you're using and what video codec you're editing.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new Creative Cow Podcast: Bringing "The Whale" to the Big Screen:
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/Podcast-Series-2-MikeParfit...

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Michael Roy
Re: copied video files to a external hard drive
on Oct 8, 2011 at 6:17:39 pm

I'm using FCP 7. I had saved everything to a folder on my desktop when capturing the clips from my SD card.
Everything was fine until I moved it to an external hard drive. That's when videos were showing up offline and the original videos captured wouldn't play the original footage but something else within the same group of videos that in the same project. They are all numbered sequentially, maybe the "#" character is throwing things off.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]