FORUMS: list search recent posts

Photoshop Font looks terrible in FCP timeline out of PS and After Effects

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michelle LaRock
Photoshop Font looks terrible in FCP timeline out of PS and After Effects
on Oct 8, 2011 at 2:37:01 pm

I've posted this questions before, but I'm still having trouble. I create an animation is After Effects that is composed of a layer Photoshop file. Looks fine in AE and when I play the exported movie on my desktop. See below.

I put it on the timeline in Final Cut and Voila! this:

The font pixelates. In addition, I'm getting pixelated font in my layered photoshop files in my timeline. This is an issue I cannot recall having in the past.

I was advised on my last post for this issue not to use the DV-NTSC codec to export from After Effect but no matter what I use I get the pixelation once I put it in the Final Cut timeline. So is it possible that the issue lies with something in my layered Photoshop file? This is ultimately going to play on a 12 foot high screen so there no hiding even a minor lack of quality. Help!

My After Effects is version 6.0

Thanks for anything you can do!
Dual 2 GHz Power Mac G5, Mac OS X (10.5.4)

Return to posts index

jerry wise
Re: Photoshop Font looks terrible in FCP timeline out of PS and After Effects
on Oct 8, 2011 at 5:02:43 pm

what are your Sequence Settings.? i can duplicate the "pixilation" you are getting on my desktop by using NTSC DV as my frame size DV/DVCPRO as my Compressor. If i go to HDTV 1080i as my frame size and Apple ProRes422 as my Compressor it looks pristine...(well nothing looks pristine on the desktop..but on my broadcast monitor its beautiful).
Do you have a broadcast monitor as a reference?

Return to posts index

Michelle LaRock
on Oct 8, 2011 at 5:31:50 pm

what are your Sequence Settings.?
DV-NTSC and it looks fine in quicktime and like garbabe in the FCP timeline Rendering does not change this issue.

If i go to HDTV 1080i as my frame size and Apple ProRes422
I dont have apple pro-res as a choice for some reason. I'm on FCP 5.4 because I haven't upgraded my intel based mac so that's as high as I can go on this computer. AE is version 6.0. Here are my choices for compression out of AE:

Do you have a broadcast monitor as a reference?

I do have a broadcast monitor as a reference...still garbage.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Oct 8, 2011 at 5:45:51 pm

Use DVCPRO50 - NTSC in AE and change the Compressor in Sequence>>Settings to the same.

DVCPRO50 uses 4:2:2 color space, which does not erode the edges of your graphics like DV.

And, create at precisely the same pixel dimensions you'll be using in FCP. Your example clearly shows a 16x9 graphic from AE being and then a 4x3 timeline in FCP.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new Creative Cow Podcast: Bringing "The Whale" to the Big Screen:
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/Podcast-Series-2-MikeParfit...

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Michelle LaRock
on Oct 8, 2011 at 5:53:05 pm

Use DVCPRO50 - NTSC in AE and change the Compressor in Sequence>>Settings to the same.

Thanks for the suggestions but I don't have those choices available in FCP 5.5 and AE 6. I believe I need a newer version of FCP for that. I do have DV50-NTSC as a choice. Would that work?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Oct 8, 2011 at 5:55:12 pm

[Michelle LaRock] " I do have DV50-NTSC as a choice. Would that work?"

It's the same codec as DVCPRO50, just a silly thing that Apple never bothered to change.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Michelle LaRock
on Oct 8, 2011 at 6:07:45 pm

Sorry to be such an incredible pest. Okay the idea is to have the setting in AE and FCP match, correct? And to use the DV50 to rid myself of the pixelization, right so far? But here are my choices for composition setting in AE:

The one that is checked is what I am using now. My sequence setting in FCP are NTSC-DV. I have the DV50 choice in FCP but don't seem to have it in AE. I've been known to miss the totally obvious so I really appreciate your patience and help.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Oct 8, 2011 at 6:14:30 pm

I use another compositing app, so I can't guide you through AE. Have you looked in Custom to see what's there?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Michelle LaRock
on Oct 8, 2011 at 6:19:44 pm

Custom doesn't give me any additional choices but I'll double check everything you've sent to me including all of my settings in FCP and AE and try the DV50. Thanks so much for your help and patience. I'm going a little cross eyed right now so I'll walk away and look again.

No doubt the problem in right under my nose and I'm missing the obvious.

Thanks again. And if anyone out thinks of anything else always happy to listen and learn!

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Oct 8, 2011 at 5:27:20 pm

You have two issues...

1) If you're editing in a DV timeline in FCP that's doing the very same thing to your graphics that the person who advised you to avoid the DV codec in AE was trying to help you to avoid.

The Fix: In Sequence>>Settings change the Compressor to ProRes 422 and re-render the timeline.

2) You're creating a 16x9 graphic in AE and scaling that to 4x3 on the FCP timeline.

Fix: Create the graphic using the same pixel dimensions as the video on your timeline.

And, make sure your canvas size is set to exactly 100.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Michelle LaRock
on Oct 8, 2011 at 5:37:43 pm

The Fix: In Sequence>>Settings change the Compressor to ProRes 422 and re-render the timeline.

I don't have this choice as I am still on FCP 5.5

You're creating a 16x9 graphic in AE and scaling that to 4x3 on the FCP timeline.

No actually, the composition settings and timeline settings in AE and FCP match.

Fix: Create the graphic using the same pixel dimensions as the video on your timeline.

And, make sure your canvas size is set to exactly 100.

Will double check this but I'm pretty sure that I've done that. Always worth a second look. Anything else I might be missing?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]