FORUMS: list search recent posts

VO Tool on Laptop on location limitations?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Harrington
VO Tool on Laptop on location limitations?
on Oct 7, 2011 at 11:37:19 pm

I need to do a post VO session in the field and curious if anyone has used VO tool on their laptop. I've tried but either can't get settings correct or it's not possible to do what I need. Is it possible laptop is limited to mic in and headphone jack not working simultaneously.

I need to, at least, hear time line via headphone jack while using mic in to record, it's not necessary to hear whats being recorded, just timeline playback so announcer can timeline and his voice while recording his VO.

My testing has indicated the headphone out does not work while recording, or I have incorrect settings.

Anyone knows about using FCP VO Tool on a laptop? I'd like to feed headphone out to small mixer, mic into mixer to mic in on laptop so announcer can hear FCP timeline and his voice in headsets from mixer.

Michael Harrington
Mac Pro, Dual Quad-Core Intel Xeon 2.66 GHz, 12 GB, FCP7, Snow Leopard, ATI Radeon HD 4870, 30-inch Cine Display, 4 - 1TB internal, G Speed 6TB Raid 5, 1.25TB Esata, Numerous FW 800 external drives, Matrox MX02Max, FSI 17" Broadcast Monitor, Black Magic Mini Sync Generator, Mackie 1402 & Event 20/20 monitors.

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: VO Tool on Laptop on location limitations?
on Oct 8, 2011 at 2:14:57 am

Post the laptop's specs... bet you need a beefy one to do this. Fast external drives... They have to read and write at the same time to use the tool. Probably wise to put source video on one drive and record to another.

Do you have an express card slot on your laptop? If so you could route it all through the MXO2 you have if you get the express card from them.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Michael Harrington
on Oct 8, 2011 at 12:07:00 pm

So far this is good news, no one has said it's not possible.

MacBook Pro 3, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4 Ghz, 4GB Ram, Bus Speed 800Mhz. I have a MXO2 MAX in my edit suite with laptop adapter card, I know it has the capability, never used it in the field. I'd prefer to not dismantle the system or have the time to do all the set up testing prior to extended travel. When I return with VO I have just a few days to insert VO and prep files for the 2-hour DVD to make deadline.

I realize the MXO is probably my best bet, I'd still like to figure out the Laptop without MXO.

I was thinking of Media on separate drives while recording VO to second drive even-though everything goes through single bus?

Michael Harrington
Mac Pro, Dual Quad-Core Intel Xeon 2.66 GHz, 12 GB, FCP7, Snow Leopard, ATI Radeon HD 4870, 30-inch Cine Display, 4 - 1TB internal, G Speed 6TB Raid 5, 1.25TB Esata, Numerous FW 800 external drives, Matrox MX02Max, FSI 17" Broadcast Monitor, Black Magic Mini Sync Generator, Mackie 1402 & Event 20/20 monitors.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Oct 8, 2011 at 10:45:32 am

There's a setting in the VO tool to hear the playback. By default this is muted, presumably to prevent feedback from speakers. If you're wearing headphones, you simply turn this off. I'm not in front of an FCP system, but it's a simple checkbox I believe.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Dean Neal
on Oct 8, 2011 at 11:47:53 am

I own a 17-inch i7 (mid-2010) MBP.

You need to check the Core Audio and VO Tool settings as mentioned earlier.

I do sports commentary using my laptop for a nationally broadcast motor-sports show in full HD.

It works well for me, here is my setup:

2TB ESATA external HDD, with Express Card/34 card (Firewire 800 would still cut it though I think).
For pro VO - I use Apogee duet, with an optional small mixer - because of VO Tool limitations (see below).

I also have a headphone mixer as well because there are two people laying down VO on the projects.

I also have full headset-mics.

I have been testing SoundTrack Pro and FCP X for future processes.

Why? Because frankly the VO Tool is handy but not very 'pro'. It will only support one channel of input, yet these other options support multi-inputs.

That will also mean I can liberate the small mixer OUT of setup, which suits me just fine because the Apogee Duet Mic preamps are excellent and thus will give me cleaner Audio.

I also like STP and FCP X's ability to refine the audio recorded (compressor, limiter etc.)

Can I ask what you are recording VO for?

Dean Neal...

Return to posts index

Michael Harrington
on Oct 8, 2011 at 12:59:54 pm

OK, got the Laptop headphone out to work so I can hear the timeline playback during VO record.

It's a 8 day off road adventure, 22 custom built rigs travel through 4 or 5 states finding challenging trails. Primitive camping, dealing with the elements, no showers, wrenching into the night kinda thing. It's for a magazine publication company, make sponsors happy, sell DVD's, re-purpose for Broadcast and of course to appear on web site near you soon. It's all run and gun capture the moment type production, extreme obstacles and iniquity to keep your rig together and make it the 8 days. if your into big trucks and off road you'll love this DVD.

After editing a 2-hour DVD I record the trail masters/magazine editors VO, literally in his back yard, sometimes "in the moment" other times as post VO comments. Ambient matches everything else and the program tracks are full of engine noise and easily mask any birds chirping or freight trains. Typically I'd just point my Z1U tape camera at my laptop monitor, playback time line with TC window for each segment, rinse and repeat. Return to my home base, digitize, edit, mix output, send a review copy.

This year my turn around time is short so I figured why not use the VO tool, record, playback with client, get approval on site or address issues and get immediate final approval.

This is the set up:

Wireless Mic: Lectro 195 w/Sanken Lav & Shotgun (same used on location)

Mixer: Shure FP33 AC power Supply

Headphones: 2 - Sony MDR-7506,

Cables/Connectors:

2 XLR Cables 10',

Laptop connectors, type/name

Headphone extension cable

Wireless mic & Shot gun talent and test and mix to match existing sound and pan to right channel. Shure FP 33 right channel out connect to Laptop mic in. Laptop headphone out to mixer and pan to left ear, right ear hears mic only.

Thanks for your feedback, gives me confidence this will work just fine.

Michael Harrington

Return to posts index

Michael Harrington
on Oct 8, 2011 at 1:16:04 pm

Here's another question, kinda off topic for this forum but relates to what I'm attempting with post VO record via my laptop.

I'd like to hook up a large monitor for VO talent to review from, see timeline video, as he reads to video.

I travel from afar to LA where I have a much older Mac system, G5 with older style Cine 23" display given to an Ol' friend. What do I need to hook that up to my Mac Book Pro, see specs in previous post. I also have an older Cine 22" here with same older connections and do not match up to my laptop. I know I'll need to bring the huge power supply but don't know what monitor connector will work.

Michael Harrington

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]