FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP (studio) & Lion

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc Lucas
FCP (studio) & Lion
on Oct 7, 2011 at 1:20:16 pm

A new MBP is on the way. I have FCS2 also FCP X & new Motion 5 & new Compressor. The MBP is brand new so it will come with Lion pre installed. I wanted to partition the drive and have SL and Lion both installed so I could run FCS 2 (FCP 6 mainly) I have now found out that that is not really feasible there is a kind of work around with Parallels but it seems a bit of a pain to do.
So is FCP 6 (FCS2) able to run on Lion ok and/or would it be better to jsut install FCP 6 but then install FCP X (because I'm happy going down that route) and then installing the new Motion & Compressor. I know it is one of those cross-road situations where new and old software are going through that transitional period but alot of my existing projects are FCP 6 project files so I do still need to run that somehow.

Any suggestions on the situation?

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: FCP (studio) & Lion
on Oct 7, 2011 at 2:25:02 pm

[Marc Lucas] " I wanted to partition the drive and have SL and Lion both installed so I could run FCS 2 (FCP 6 mainly) I have now found out that that is not really feasible there is a kind of work around with Parallels but it seems a bit of a pain to do"
Why Not?
Withe SL installation disk, you should be able to run the DiskUtility and make the partitions before installing
Or you can use another Mac and do it as if was any external HD.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Marc Lucas
on Oct 7, 2011 at 2:44:30 pm

Apparently if you buy a brand new MBP with Lion installed you can install an older OS on it i.e SL??

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Oct 7, 2011 at 2:37:45 pm

In our MacPro we have one drive with two partitions - one for SL and the other with Lion. We've had no problems running either OS. We have partitioned other drives that had an OS on them and the OS runs fine after the partitioning.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Marc Lucas
on Oct 7, 2011 at 2:46:57 pm

Yes I do exactly that on my MacPro BUT the question was regarding a brand new MBP like I stated in the first line o the thread. I did think I could just do what I'd done on my MacPro but apparently brand new machines with Lion pre installed won't run SL properly.....

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Oct 7, 2011 at 3:44:01 pm

I'm no expert, but I think the issue is you can't partition the startup drive from itself. But, if you put the new laptop in Target mode (hold the "T" button while starting up)while connected to another Mac with Firewire, the laptop will look like any drive on the other computer's desktop and you should be able to partition it.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Oct 7, 2011 at 9:35:44 pm

Your computer has a hard disk and you can erase it and install whatever you want as long as is compatible with the hardare.
SL is compatible with your Mac, so where is the problem?
In theory there is not problem, and in the practice John (I trust it) prove it.
rafael

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Oct 7, 2011 at 9:51:45 pm

Hi, Rafael. A few months ago I took out the small 100GB drive from my MBP (3 or 4 years old now) and replaced it with a 320GB drive. When I tried to install SL using the MBP's DVD drive, it always froze. Then I put my MBP in Target mode and connected it to an iMac with the installer drive in the iMac. I pointed the installer at the MBP drive and it worked. BTW, I like your new picture.

John

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Oct 8, 2011 at 3:43:41 am

Hi John,
Yes. I think I also would try it with the help of another Mac, better than with the installation disk.

[John Fishback] "BTW, I like your new picture."
rafael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]