FORUMS: list search recent posts

order of audio tracks in a (ctrl+l made) subclip is changed when dragged into a new timeline

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bettine Ties
order of audio tracks in a (ctrl+l made) subclip is changed when dragged into a new timeline
on Oct 7, 2011 at 12:07:57 pm

hello there!

I am working on a project that has from 4 to 8 audio tracks, mono and stereo ones.
I made subclips, by the "ctrl+l" - shortcut, afterwards dragging them into the browser, renaming them and dragging them again into new sequences for the dailies.

I made LOTS of subclips (*crying softly*), UNTIL I noticed, that the audio tracks of the subclip, dragged into the new timeline (with enough tracks, i checked) CHANGE THEIR ORDER in a mysterious way - at least not alphabetically.

In my initial sequence i had the strict order of:

1: M (stereo coding)
2: S (stereo coding)
3: Camera Stereo X
4: Camera Stereo Y
5: BOOM
6: RADIO
7: Tascam X
8: Tascam Y

I thought my order would remain within the subclips, but it has not. chaos reigns. there is a real mess in the dailies. with every new subclip I restart wondering, which audio track is which microfon.

I am desperately looking forward to any idea of handling this problem in an efficient way!
There has`n come any to me yet.

THANKS VERY MUCH IN ADVANCE!

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: order of audio tracks in a (ctrl+l made) subclip is changed when dragged into a new timeline
on Oct 7, 2011 at 2:42:23 pm

Drag the clip to the viewer where you'll see all your audio tracks, and then look at the track patch panel in the sequence and make sure you've got a1 to a1, a2 to a2, etc. If you recently patched a1 to a3 or something, then FCP is probably using that as the current default to clips that are just dragged, so the other tracks are getting reassigned.

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: order of audio tracks in a (ctrl+l made) subclip is changed when dragged into a new timeline
on Oct 7, 2011 at 2:49:38 pm

You made sub clips how? control+i or L or? These clips were in a sequence, right? Seems like you're syncing audio too, right?

I'm a bit unclear about what you did to make the sub clips... They actually should have been "merged" clips instead... I think...

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Bettine Ties
on Oct 7, 2011 at 3:12:23 pm

thanks for your answer!

I made my "subclips" by linking the different audio tracks and the video in a sequence with the shortcut ctrl+L and then dragged them to the browser, so that they could be used in the cutting process
(as I was told by a senior editor of my film school, this would be quicker than merging)

Since I have invested a serious amount of time in this "subclip"-making, I wonder if there is a sensible solution to handle the disorder in the dailies' audio tracks without repeating the procedure and merging all the clips.

best,
Bettine

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Oct 7, 2011 at 3:34:17 pm

IT's probably quicker, but it's no where near as good... as you're seeing now. I'd go through the process of Merging the clips instead. That way, you get exactly the tracks you want to use. I don't think there's a way to just tell the current clips to reference different tracks.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]