FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD has terrible pixelation??

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Sheppard
DVD has terrible pixelation??
on Oct 6, 2011 at 5:45:30 pm

Hi there

I don't know if anyone can help me here, I'm having some real trouble creating a dvd that looks half decent.

Basically, I am capturing a whole tape to Final Cut, exporting a Quicktime reference file.

I then go to compressor, drag that Quicktime file to compressor window, then I drag the DVD: Best quality 90 minutes on to the file. I then change the settings to 16:9 in the inspector window.

When that has completed I then open DVD Studio Pro, add that file I just created in Compressor the the timeline, then I hit burn.

When it has finished burning, I take it downstairs to my Samsung HDTV to play it back, and it looks absolutely terrible! It is really badly pixelated, to the point I do not want to watch it.

I know being SD, it will not look amazing on a HDTV as I presume it is upscaling it to some extent or another, but this is just terrible. I do not understand how SD DVDS look fine, very slightly pixelated but perfectly watchable, but the DVDs I make are just horrid!

The source footage I am capturing is just some Mini DV, Pal stuff, via firewire into final cut pro.

Any advice would be so much appreciated!!

-James

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
Re: DVD has terrible pixelation??
on Oct 6, 2011 at 5:53:18 pm

set the resizing to highest quality.

don't export reference files....ALWAYS do self-contained.
Some say doing it as a reference is never recommended and I concur.

Return to posts index

James Sheppard
on Oct 6, 2011 at 6:29:00 pm

Hi Chris,

So I will try a second export from Final Cut creating a self-contained movie,

and by the resizing, do you mean under the Frame Controls tab in compressor, I have just been playing around and I asume I have to turn Frame Controls ON and then set to BEST, I have left Output Fields to Same as source, but I am a bit lost about the deinterlace drop down box, what do I select there?

Of course, that is going on if I have even selected the right tab for starters!!

Im still kind of learning the ropes on Compressor

-James

Return to posts index

Ken Evans
on Oct 7, 2011 at 10:33:35 am

I would also try exporting the timeline as a self contained movie in DVPal format (just go Export>Quicktime movie for one based on your sequence settings) then drop that rendered movie into DVDSP and let it take care of it.

OK you go through another compression process but I very much doubt there will be any visible issues.

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Oct 7, 2011 at 10:46:02 pm

[James Sheppard] "do you mean under the Frame Controls tab in compressor, I have just been playing around and I asume I have to turn Frame Controls ON and then set to BEST, I have left Output Fields to Same as source, but I am a bit lost about the deinterlace drop down box, what do I select there?"

good to go.

leave the deinterlace as it is.

If you own after effects or an adobe product that ships with adobe media encoder...use it.

It's faster and does a better job at resizing down for DVD than compressor.
especially on 720P HD video.

Return to posts index

James Sheppard
on Oct 8, 2011 at 12:31:15 pm

Update,

I used Chris' method and it worked great, pictures look so much better already!

Much appreciated.

P.s; I will give after effects a blast later, I think I have it lying around here somewhere!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]