FORUMS: list search recent posts

different frame rates

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kyle Moore
different frame rates
on Oct 6, 2011 at 8:14:01 am

Hello!

I fell into an opportunity doing assistant editing on a feature documentary. I've got all the footage and the director wants it all Apple Prores 422 (HQ).

It was shot using 4 different cameras: 5D, 7D, AF100, and GoPro.

Please tell me if this is correct: I am using log and transfer to bring in all media (going to preferences and selecting Apple ProRes 422 HQ). When I view some of the converted AF100 files in Quicktime player there is awful ghosting and stutter, but some of them play perfectly. Is this due to the footage being shot at different frame rates?

The choppy ghost footage looks normal enough in the Final Cut timeline, however. Why is this? And when I drop it into the timeline, should I say YES or NO when it asks me to match the sequence settings to the clip? Is there a way to make all the raw footage exactly the same so when I bring it into FCP I know it's all going to match and the dreaded red render bar won't appear every time I move something?

I edited something for this guy last week shot with four different cameras and everything went very smoothly. I have a feeling that I'm dealing with different frame rates.

Thanks is advance for any and all suggestions.
-Kyle

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
Re: different frame rates
on Oct 6, 2011 at 11:34:43 pm

Hi Kyle

if you look in the browser window for your project you can move the columns along and you should see columns for Frame Size, Video Rate and Compressor which will tell you if you are dealing with odd frame rates or codecs etc.

In terms of yes or no with the matching sequence, you have to make sure that your sequence settings match your media or FCP will transcode it. Yours dont match - thats why it is asking you Yes/No

An Easy set up for the correct codec should get you off on the right foot. So HD 1080 (whatever frame rate you work in) ProRes HQ will be what you are looking for.

Hope that helps

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]