FORUMS: list search recent posts

Converting 720p 29.97 tapeless media to tape.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick Okray
Converting 720p 29.97 tapeless media to tape.
on Oct 6, 2011 at 6:08:24 am

Hey guys. I was just asked to convert some tapeless media to DVCPROHD tape for a company and I have a framerate question . They were shooting a pilot and some cameras were memory card based. They want that footage dubbed to tape to match their main cams. Long story short, their avids are older and cannot do AMA, so they would be left doing File-> IMport on every file. Which is fine for a small shoot but their tapeless alone is about 15-18 hours of footage since they had about 3 GoPros, 2 Sony HMRs, 1 RED ONE, and a 7D. As you could see, doing a file->import would take weeks.

The rest of their footage is all DVCPRO tape based from ENG cams, so they want it to match so that their online will be all tape based. Their delivery specs are 720p 29.97 and the tapeless media so far has matched that, except for the 7D doing 1080/29.97. The company has let me use their Panasonic AJ-HD1400 deck for the process. My plan is to bring all the footage into FCP and use my Blackmagic Decklink Extreme to output the footage to their deck. However, in the manual for their deck, it doesnt mention anything about it being able to record 720/29.97, only 1080/59.94i, 720/59.94p, & 720/60. Am I allright recording this media in 720/59.94 to tape and then have them online it in an Avid project of 720/29.97? I have no idea what their other DVCPROHD was truly shot in, they claim 720/29.97 but something tells me their camera men may have been stuck to doing 59.94 as well. I just didnt want to do 15-18 hours of digital cuts only to find out 2 months later when they online the final cut that their master tapes are in the wrong format/framerate. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Converting 720p 29.97 tapeless media to tape.
on Oct 6, 2011 at 4:44:43 pm

DVCPRO HD, on tape at 720p...is 59.94. Although the timecode on the deck might read 29.97. Yeah, it's confusing.

This is typical. People clinging hard to their old OLD edit systems (really friggin cheap for Avid people to upgrade these days) yet want to shoot with the brand new formats. And yet their systems can't deal with the new formats...so they have to go back to tape. Annoying.

ANYWAY...just put all of your footage into a sequence, have your BMD card output to a 720p 29.97 signal, and go. I hope all the tapeless footage you shot has the same frame rate. Please tell me it does.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Rick Okray
Re: Converting 720p 29.97 tapeless media to tape.
on Oct 6, 2011 at 5:58:35 pm

Shane your the man! You and Biscardi have helped me on countless projects by responding to other people's issues which were the same as mine. Thanks alot. Its a small industry out here in LA, hope we cross paths. I owe you a cold one.

BTw, I all the framerates are the same so far. I still havent gotten their r3d files. I think they shot slow motion at 120fps, but that gets converted to 29.97 anyway right? or maybe 23.976 (which that deck wont handle). Worst case scenario, they're stuck doing imports on that footage.

Peace!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]