FORUMS: list search recent posts

Test my workflow logic - 59.94fps (720p60) to 23.976fps

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Griggs
Test my workflow logic - 59.94fps (720p60) to 23.976fps
on Oct 5, 2011 at 5:02:01 pm

Ok, first, let me say I've watched Shane Ross's genius tutorial on conforming 60p footage to 24 for slow motion using Cinema Tools, and I wanted to get a second opinion on my workflow thoughts....and see if my conclusions make sense.

So I have 720p 59.94 footage (AVCHD from Pan. HMC150) that I ingested into FCP via L&T and transcoded to ProResLT.

I want to be able to use SOME of the footage as slow motion, but not all of it. I also would REALLY love to have the "normal" speed clips to run at 23.976 (the frame rate I usually shoot/edit with) even though they were shot at 59.94.

So my method is as follows: Using Media Manager, I copied the clips I want to use (with 1 second handles) to a second media folder. I then used Cinema Tools to batch conform the folder to 23.98fps.

I then reconnect the conformed clips to project/sequence that was created from my media managed copy. So now I have timeline with all my clips slowed down.

Here's the part I'm not 100% about: If I select all my clips (on the timeline) and change the speed to be 250% (59.94/23.976=2.5) they should all playback at "normal" speed...right? (I have tested it, they seem to playback "normally".)

So, if I'm correct in my logic, I now have a timeline of clips that play as if they were shot at 23.976fps, and still have the option to use smooth slow-motion on whatever clip I want.....

Does this make sense?? Am I missing any huge "gotchas"? My major concern is there will be some sort of dropped frame issues or something that I'm not factoring in.... or that I'm trying to make FCP do frame-rate-changing calculations in realtime on the fly that it's NOT good at doing or something.....

Any wisdom or caveats anyone could share would be REALLY appreciated.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]