FORUMS: list search recent posts

OMF out of sync

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
howard jackson
OMF out of sync
on Oct 4, 2011 at 9:44:01 pm

1 hour doco. I’ve done numerous tests exporting OMF with crossfades checked from 6.06 to Soundtrack and it always pushes the audio out of sync.

I copied audio from a1 to a2. Two identical tracks.
No crossfade on a1 (all good), put crossfade at head of track on a2 and the track is pushed out of sync by the length of the crossfade. All 16 bit 48khz no variations on sample rate.

Is there a way to solve this, other than the obvious “don’t check the crossfade box” or buy automatic duck.

e.g. Michael Kammes’ article - Prepping and Exporting for Post Audio in Final Cut Pro his detailed instructions include checking the crossfade box. So it must work for some people some of the time.

This is a low budget (read no budget project). The post-production house has viewed the DVD, they want to keep the mix and only need to tweak for broadcast specs. Therefore I want to keep, levels, pans and crossfade trans.
They’re using Fairlight. Is this a FCP export issue or could it be a Soundtrack Pro issue? And is there a way around this?
Cheers, Howard

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
Re: OMF out of sync
on Oct 4, 2011 at 11:17:17 pm

Not sure, but I make .omf files almost weekly for a variety of programs from :15 TV Spots, to feature length films.

I've never had any sync issues going from final cut to pro tools. (all options enabled and :10 sec handles)

so you can probably rule out final cut.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 5, 2011 at 2:48:51 am

Where does it go out of sync? From FCP to STP via OMF or FCP to Fairlight via OMF?

I use Fairlight Xynergi and it has never had a sync issue with FCP OMFs. What Fairlight model is it (if it is the Fairlight going out of sync)?

Going from FCP to STP you do have the option to send to STP rather than via an OMF. Have you tried that?

Return to posts index

howard jackson
on Oct 15, 2011 at 11:47:28 pm

Sorry for not thanking you both earlier for your quick replies - took a couple of weeks off. I haven’t as yet sent the program to Fairlight, I was testing the omf export to make sure I wouldn’t have problems i.e. didn’t want to book time and have everything prepared only to find the crossfades pushed the program out of sync.

Sending straight to STP from FCP means levels, crossfade etc are lost.

I have read a number of people seem to have the same, or similar, sync problem. Maybe it is only a Soundtrack pro bug. I’ve gone through the whole program, deleted all crossfades and done them manually. Pain in the butt but better than risking my whole booking on the Fairlight re-syncing. I will take a short test track with me to check and report back in case anyone else has this problem.

Cheers, Howard

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]