FORUMS: list search recent posts

Converting Canon XA10 mts Files to FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eddie Kesler
Converting Canon XA10 mts Files to FCP
on Oct 4, 2011 at 4:22:31 pm

I have a ton of footage a client brought in that was shot on a Canon XA10 HD camcorder. They are .MTS files. I don't see any timecode on them. I need to get them into FCP to edit with. I found an app called iSkySoft Video Converter and downloaded it, but it only gets them to H.264 and I see nowhere where I can add timecode.

It's 130GB of footage and he said it's about 13 days worth of shooting. I don't want to have to double-transcode to get it to ProRes with timecode. Anyone have an efficient workflow for this?

Thanks,
Eddie

http://www.jamedit.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Converting Canon XA10 mts Files to FCP
on Oct 4, 2011 at 4:39:23 pm

This is the tapeless workflow for FCP...TUTORIAL: Tapeless Workflow for FCP 7 Tutorial

Bottom line is that you will need to convert to ProRes (ProRes LT is a good light option)...and it will take up a lot more space than the current 130GB. You will need a 2TB drive at least.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Eddie Kesler
on Oct 4, 2011 at 4:53:45 pm

Thanks, Shane. Is there a way to add unique timecode to the clips as well?

http://www.jamedit.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 4, 2011 at 5:40:44 pm

If the camera shoots it, FCP will see it. If it doesn't, then FCP won't. Many consumer cameras and even some professional ones won't do this...depends on the AVCHD codec and how it was implimented. Most AVCHD cameras don't shoot unique timecode, because the original AVCHD format didn't include it. Newer cameras use offshoots of the AVCHD format...or modified versions, so they can do timecode. Like the SOny NXCam and Panasonic HMC line.

And assigning NEW code (which you can, with third party tools) would be pointless...and really detrimental. If you needed to reimport for any reason, you'd be stuck as the incoming clips wouldn't match the timecode you changed.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

ban jason
on Jul 16, 2012 at 2:14:19 am

There are two article will can help you :
For FCP 7 and Canon XA10 MTS
For FCP X and Canon XA10 MTS

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]