FORUMS: list search recent posts

Working Remotely, Any Advice?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Benjamin Mullins
Working Remotely, Any Advice?
on Oct 4, 2011 at 11:05:42 am

Hi,

I work as the sole in-house editor for a University based in London, cutting all the uni's corporate material (course promos, guest lecturers, events etc). As of next month I will be working remotely, editing from home and only going on site around 1-2 days per month (I will still have a 5 day a week workload). I have mapped out a strategy for my workflow and I was wondering if I can get some feedback on it, and if anyone else has had a similar experience and what advice they could offer. My workflow will be as follows:-

1. Footage is filmed by colleagues at the uni and captured onto a drive (all tapeless, P2).
2. Files are copied to an external drive, along with necessary Word docs (project number, contributors names, job titles, deadlines, etc).
3. Drive is sent by courier next day delivery to me.
4. I copy files onto a RAID drive and produce 1st cut.
5. I send a low res preview file to my producer for feedback either by e-mail, YouSendIt, or the uni's FTP site.
6. We communicate via e-mail, skype or phone and I perform any changes until they are happy to forward a copy on to the relevant department for sign-off.
6. Once the project is signed off I send a high res QT master via YouSendIt or FTP, along with whatever format is required by the department (MP4, H264 etc).
7. When I return to the uni each month I will bring back the drives that have been sent. I will also keep a data archive at home of all projects completed, as well one at the uni.

If any face to face client meetings are required they will be scheduled for when I will be on site, and for any more urgent meetings I can also be available. My main question is this - how feasible is it these days to send large amounts of data over the internet? For example, if the uni sends me a project via courier, and then films some extra footage amounting to around 20GB, could they send that over FTP without having massive upload/download times? Obviously this depends on both mine and the uni's internet connections, but in theory, is this reasonable to expect? Any other advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Ben.

Return to posts index

adam taylor
Re: Working Remotely, Any Advice?
on Oct 4, 2011 at 11:59:58 am

20gigs over the internet - expect several days of continuous downloading...and don't forget that uploading will take even longer unless you have a special internet account allowing for same speed up/downloads.

It will probably be far quicker to collect the drives, regardless of where you are in England.

Adam Taylor
Video Editor/Audio Mixer/ Compositor/Motion GFX/Barista
Character Options Ltd
Oldham, UK

http://www.sculptedbliss.co.uk
My YouTube Animations Page

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Oct 4, 2011 at 12:20:39 pm

Ditto that sentiment... It has to be more efficient to just ship drives around. I'd suggest that at least two copies be made on set, and one sent to you, the other being a backup.

20 gigs would take a very long time to upload, and tie up computers for a lot of time doing things this way.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Benjamin Mullins
on Oct 4, 2011 at 12:46:27 pm

Yes that's what I thought, I had not planned on transferring footage over the internet, but thought I'd ask and see if anyone had any similar experiences. Thank you for the input.

Ben.

Return to posts index

adam taylor
on Oct 4, 2011 at 12:50:27 pm

I often have to send 2-3gb of data to Adstream in prep for broadcasting, and with our companies 100mb leased line, i can only ever seem to shift around 2gb per hour, and that is dependant upon the overall data use of the network at the time.

I really wouldnt want to try shifting much more than that.

adam

Adam Taylor
Character Options Ltd
Oldham, UK

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Oct 4, 2011 at 1:47:04 pm

Yeah...

Someday, eh?

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

adam taylor
on Oct 4, 2011 at 1:50:48 pm

i love the idea of working from home...but i just know i would not have the discipline required!

Adam Taylor
Character Options Ltd
Oldham, UK

Return to posts index

Benjamin Mullins
on Oct 4, 2011 at 2:14:59 pm

I've worked from home a couple of times now and I don't find it too bad. Once I'm sat in front of the computer I could be anywhere and I get lost in the editing just as easily as in an office. I don't have any kids or pets though so once my girlfriend has gone to work I have only the internet to distract me!

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Oct 4, 2011 at 10:23:10 pm

There is file transfer software that greatly speeds up internet transfers. We regularly download 6GB files from clients on the west coast who use Aspera. With an Aspera client, we can download that file in as quickly as 30 minutes using a 30mbps cable modem at our end.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Oct 4, 2011 at 10:23:19 pm

There is file transfer software that greatly speeds up internet transfers. We regularly download 6GB files from clients on the west coast who use Aspera. With an Aspera client, we can download that file in as quickly as 30 minutes using a 30mbps cable modem at our end.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Benjamin Mullins
on Oct 5, 2011 at 10:09:09 am

John Fishback

Thanks for that John, I will definitely check that out, that's exactly the sort of thing I was hoping for.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 5, 2011 at 12:22:14 pm

There was some more in-depth discussion of Aspera in the Digital Delivery forum [link] a few months ago, as well as several other non-TCP solutions.

They might be worth looking into, but depending on your use requirements, overnight shipping may still be cheaper.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 4, 2011 at 4:40:32 pm

[Jerry Hofmann] "Someday, eh?"

By the time our Internet speeds get fast enough for moving HD video editorial, we'll have to start shipping our 8K video around on holocubes, right?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Steve Cohen
on Oct 5, 2011 at 2:36:08 pm

What about Remote Desktop?
Remotely logging into the MAC at the University and controlling that from your home computer.

That will eliminate transferring files from 1 location to the other.

I have not tried editing this way, but I have done other things remotely.

Steve Cohen

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Oct 5, 2011 at 3:49:07 pm

The biggest issue we've found with remote desktop-like software is the audio either isn't there at all, or is out of sync. It'd be great if that could be brought together.

John

Return to posts index

Benjamin Mullins
on Oct 6, 2011 at 6:14:38 am

Steve Cohen
What about Remote Desktop?
Remotely logging into the MAC at the University and controlling that from your home computer.

Thanks for the suggestion Steve, I had not thought of that. I will give it a go and see what happens!

Return to posts index

Steve Cohen
on Oct 6, 2011 at 12:56:49 pm

Let me know, because I actually haven't tried it for editing.

John Fishback said "The biggest issue we've found with remote desktop-like software is the audio either isn't there at all, or is out of sync. It'd be great if that could be brought together."

So I would like to hear how it works out for you.
I could definitely understand a lag, but the lack of audio altogether I don't see, unless the audio was set to go to his I/O device (BlackMagic, AJA, or Matrox). I'm thinking to hear it via Remote Desktop you would have to send it to the computer speakers.

Steve Cohen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]