FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Pro 7 log and transfer .mts problems

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Johnny Turner
Final Cut Pro 7 log and transfer .mts problems
on Oct 4, 2011 at 8:33:55 am

I am trying to log and transfer footage from a Sony handicam into Final Cut 7. The file format on the footage is .mts. Every time I attempt to do it I get this error:

"Stream" has invalid directory structure. Please choose a folder whose directory structure matches the supported media.

I have searched the internet and this forum for a solution to my problem, but have failed to find anything that works for me.

I have two questions I would really appreciate if someone could help me with:

1) What is the error referring to; meaning what does it mean?

2) How do I get past this error and get my footage logged and transfered into Final Cut?

Thank you so much!!!!!!

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
Re: Final Cut Pro 7 log and transfer .mts problems
on Oct 6, 2011 at 11:11:10 pm

Usually this type of error is caused by the file structure not being complete or files being copied from original folders before log and transfer.

You should have a camera folder called "Private" and everything must be intact in that folder otherwise you get the kind of error you describe.

A way around it is to open the .mts files in something like MPEG Streamclip and transcode them to something FCP friendly like ProRes or another appropriate codec.
Those files can then be imported without log and transfer

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

Johnny Turner
on Oct 6, 2011 at 11:41:53 pm

Thank you very much for responding to my post. I tried to log and transfer directly from the camera and still received the error message. Also, when I try to upload them in MPEG Streamclip I receive and error that says:

File open error: unrecognized file type

Any other suggestions will be appreciated

Thx!!

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
on Oct 7, 2011 at 6:05:52 pm

Hi Johnny

I was possibly wrong about MPEG Streamclip apologies for that.

Here is an earlier Cow thread that you may find useful

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/8/1030733

Looks like as I said in my earlier post if you drag in the whole Private folder it should work.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

Johnny Turner
on Oct 8, 2011 at 4:09:08 am

I got the footage.... thx for all the help!!!!!

Return to posts index

Jean Martin
on Dec 11, 2011 at 12:09:17 pm

Hi,
MTS file transfer into a FinalCutPro7 project is still a problem in Dec 2011. I agree with other posts: if you copy the whole file structure from the camera SD card onto your Hard Disc, and then use "Log and Transfer" (under FILE) in FCP it generally works.

But it is not consistent. I used a Panasonic AG-HMC 41E camera from Uni which is used by many different people. Once I had transferred my footage (One down from the top level, i.e. it starts with DCIM, MISC, PRIVATE>AVCHD>etc.... the files from the SD card into a new folder on my computer, I am unable to import these files then into FCP from the Computer.

I think FCP (Apple) make this MTS importing procedure very complicated.
Why can one not simply import the files themselves?
MTS has been around for more than 5 years now!
They probably don't update because Apple will abandon FCP and only maintain iMovie...
Maybe it is time to migrate to Adobe's Premier, which is ironically part owned by Apple. But this is politics...

Jean

Return to posts index

Tom O'Neill
on Jan 11, 2012 at 8:46:19 pm

I have been having the same problem bringing the .mts files in with Final Cut Pro's Log and Transfer utility.

Rather than deleting "Ghost Files" or dragging the AVCHD folder to my desktop and working from there I tried creating a new folder on my main comp's desktop dedicated specifically to importing. This worked and has continued to work.

I think that the root of this problem, beyond AVCHD wanting to work on a PC workflow, may be the daisy chain between mac hard drives. I'm sure most of the posters neglected to mention that they are working in a workflow where their Scratch discs, project files and other media are all on different hard drives - different even from their home folder.

An other problem as far as the internal communication between your edit systems and media could be found, when using a mac, in the use of the "Timevault" home folder. Though it is a good thing to have set up on your computer it does make it difficult for programs to locate files in and around your home folder. The original error message - "Home folder.. has unrecognized file types.." is, for the most part, related to that and not specifically related to problem occurring when trying to import the .mts files into final cut.

As far as workflows around this problem go, I suggest having a folder on your desktop entitled "import" or the like. Set final cut's capture scratch into that folder and save your "import Project" in that folder as well. Do all of your capturing into that one folder and then move the entire folder where you want it after. Then you can rename the folder/project file etc. and all of the raw converted footage will be in the capture scratch folders within that archive.

Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]