FORUMS: list search recent posts

Scrubbing AVCHD

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robin Wilson
Scrubbing AVCHD
on Oct 3, 2011 at 1:43:48 pm

Dear all,

We use a lot of AVCHD footage from Sony's MC1 mini cams. The way we use them is we attach them somewhere and just let them run for a couple of hours. Result: very long clips that are split into segments of aproc. 4 g.

The problem is that we have to spot the long clips in FCP's log and transfer before we make exports to an editable format, but there is a problem... when you scrub through longer clips the cursor won't stay in the same place, but will skip all the way back to the beginning or end of the clip. This means we have to spot the footage in reel time. Not really an option since the amount of usable footage is minimal so this method is just too time-consuming...

I don't know if this is a known problem with FCP. We tried the Movist player for a while which only plays the split clips separately, but encounter the same problem.

Does anybody know a solid way to go through these clips?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Robin Wilson (editor)

Return to posts index

Daniel Sametz
Re: Scrubbing AVCHD
on Oct 3, 2011 at 2:27:47 pm

Check Roxio Video Player, it can handle mts preaty well or there's a Panasonic plug in for playing that files on quicktime now. I don't have the link but Google it or search in the forum, someone post it, with that plug you have to wait until the quicktime fills the cache or something but it plays real good to.

Return to posts index

Robin Wilson
on Oct 3, 2011 at 2:53:23 pm

Thanks so much for the quick responce! I'm going to try it immediately.

Return to posts index

Robin Wilson
on Oct 3, 2011 at 2:58:36 pm

I think I'll try the Roxio player first. Just found this warning on soe "learnfinalcutpro" site:

WARNING:
This plug-in is for Panasonic AVCCAM products only - AVCHD clips recorded on equipment other than AVCCAM products slow Quicktime to a crawl and have Audio and Video out of sync. I have tried it with mts (AVCHD) clips from Sony Cameras and it does not work correctly, so DON’T use this plug-in for any footage other than Panasonic AVCCAM products listed below.

I'll let you know if it works.

Return to posts index

Jeff Meyer
on Oct 3, 2011 at 11:24:36 pm

I've got a client that sends .mts files regularly without the entire card structure so it won't Log & Transfer. They're shooting some sort of AVCHD, not sure what brand of camera even. I tried going the Toast route, but it resulted in sound sync issues (7 frames if you already have that footage Toast converted) which became annoying rather quickly. I tried dropping the .mts files into Premiere CS5.5 and it didn't even think twice, it just worked. I'm on a 12 core box pulling from a RAID-5 array, your mileage may vary. If you use After Effects you might already have Premiere on hand - if you do give it a try.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]