FORUMS: list search recent posts

Getting a cheap mac for exporting/converting

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Grant Wilber
Getting a cheap mac for exporting/converting
on Oct 3, 2011 at 5:29:08 am

Right now I have a MBP 15" from 2005. It's still running fine for editing but forget about it if I have to convert files or use compressor in the background.

I've been seeing some Macmini's g4 on ebay for under $200. Anyone think that this could handle any export/convert stuff? Or better running adobe encore to create DVD's.

Anyone have any similar set up where you have a cheaper 2nd computer and only use it to run things for hours?

Return to posts index

Gaz Evans
Re: Getting a cheap mac for exporting/converting
on Oct 3, 2011 at 9:24:31 am

For support reasons I would suggest not going for the G4 and instead go for one with an intel core - mac minis from 2007 onwards should be able to cope with encoding and converting but they will have low specs than a lap top of that age so I wouldnt imagine it would be much faster than your MBP.

Gaz Evans

Workflow Technician
The diROOM
http://www.diROOM.com

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Oct 3, 2011 at 12:10:26 pm

I wouldn't spend a dollar on any PPC.
You may find that even buying a faster device you may have more problems to run the software you expect to use.
With a G4 or even G5 you will be running only legacy software.
The tasks you intend to do (Transcoding, converting,..) needs a lot of horsepower.
Codex may be another issue.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Grant Wilber
on Oct 3, 2011 at 12:33:06 pm

How about an imac with intel core 2 duo from around 2006. Seems like alot of these you can get for under $300 on ebay. Only has firewire 400 but I could live with that as I'm not editing on it. Anyone foresee any problems I'm overlooking?

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Oct 3, 2011 at 1:14:26 pm

You are better off with the latest Mac Mini. Think ahead instead of saving money and going back in time. Going back will slow you down.

You can still get a good deal. Take a look at the Apple Certified Refurbished Store.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 3, 2011 at 2:56:13 pm

Yup. No PPC. I even looked at putting my old Quicksilver to use in an AE render farm, bit it can't be done. The software isn't there, and the legacy stuff isn't integrating with anything new. $200 got a G4 mini is a rip too IMHO. You can have the quicksilver if you'll take all my othe old electronics too.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]