FORUMS: list search recent posts

Export problems in FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jaime Uribelarrea
Export problems in FCP
on Oct 2, 2011 at 8:56:31 pm

I made a short video composed of 10 second clips and a song to replace the audio of the videos. The videos were shot with a Sony W290 camera, the quality isn't great but it's 720p. Original files were mp4v/aac .mp4's (1280x720), which I imported directly into FCP (5 or 6, can't remember), without any kind of previous conversion (I don't know if that's necessary).
Now, when exporting, I've tried multiple settings to try and get the final video to a) have the same image quality than the originals and b) to be full 1280x720. Instead, they lose some definition and a couple of black bars appear, making the video less than 720 pixels high. (anamporphic 16:9 is unchecked)
I've tried exporting as Quick Time movie, mp4 Main, h.264, 5000, 8000, 9000 kbps, single-pass, multi-pass, HD 1280x720 (16:9), 1280x720 (apparently 2 different sizes) with preserve aspect ratio (crop, fill in, and that third option i can't remember).
Tried Vimeo's exact recommended settings.
I've exported it like 12 times and the result is always disappointing.
Can anyone recommend exporting settings that will preserve the original quality and size of my clips?
They are 1280x720 in size, codec is mp4v, and bitrate is between 8000 and 9000 kbps.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Export problems in FCP
on Oct 2, 2011 at 9:27:24 pm

[Jaime Uribelarrea] "Original files were mp4v/aac .mp4's (1280x720), which I imported directly into FCP (5 or 6, can't remember), without any kind of previous conversion "

Welcome to the Cow Jaime.

Sorry you've missed it elsewhere, but all day, every day, for about the last two years, everyone who asks here knows that that MP4 files must be transcoded to an editing codec that FCP recognizes as a "realtime" codec, such as ProRes 422.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new Creative Cow Podcast: Producing Episodic TV with "24" Producer Michael Klick:
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/Podcast-Series-1_Michael-Kl...

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Jaime Uribelarrea
Re: Export problems in FCP
on Oct 3, 2011 at 4:48:50 am

THANK YOU. I had heard something about pre-editing conversion but I never thought that would be the problem. I just assumed FCP was good enough to accept regular mp4 files, and various searches for my symptoms hadn't resulted in any progress.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]