FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting 422 HQ + Alpha channel from After Effects CS5 = quality loss when paste into FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Enguerrand Bouillaguet
Exporting 422 HQ + Alpha channel from After Effects CS5 = quality loss when paste into FCP
on Oct 1, 2011 at 9:28:52 pm

First of all I'm french so i apologize for any future grammatical mistakes.

Now for my editing configuration :
Mac Pro OS X 10.6.8
After Effects CS5
Final Cut Studio 2 suite (FCP Pro 6)

Here's the problem... I know it has already been discussed elsewhere but I haven't find any solution at this point.
I'm working on some motion graphics in AE that needs to be incorporated into an FCP timeline...
my FCP timeline have these settings :
- Apple Pro Res 422 HQ progressive
my export settings from AE are these :
- Quicktime Animation codec quality 100 RGB + Alpha
The output video is fine when played on Quicktime Player but when pasted into FCP the quality loss is visible.
I have then made a second export from AE with Apple Pro Res 422 HQ codec settings and when paste into FCP timeline, the result is perfect (i mean no quality loss) but the alpa cannel is gone by the way and so i can't composite it anymore with the underneath video (because of the black background of course)...
I'm pretty lost now...
If anyone have already been through this particular workflow i would be glad to know how...
Here's my screen capture
On the upper side of the picture you can see the Animation + Alpha channel
And on the bottom the Apple Pro Res 422 HQ export

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Exporting 422 HQ + Alpha channel from After Effects CS5 = quality loss when paste into FCP
on Oct 1, 2011 at 10:30:50 pm

[Enguerrand Bouillaguet] "I have then made a second export from AE with Apple Pro Res 422 HQ codec settings and when paste into FCP timeline, the result is perfect (i mean no quality loss) but the alpa cannel is gone by the way and so i can't composite it anymore with the underneath video "
In FC you can use the picture from the ProresHQ file and the Alpha from the Animation file.
Set the Prores picture (as Travel Matte Alpha) picture over the Animation.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Enguerrand Bouillaguet
Re: Exporting 422 HQ + Alpha channel from After Effects CS5 = quality loss when paste into FCP
on Oct 1, 2011 at 10:52:48 pm

Thanks but it can't be done this way...
Because if i use as alpha matte the QT animation as a shape for my nice 422 export well... guess what? I'm getting the pixellated edge of the QT animation... So unfortunately it's pointless.. :(
But thanks anyway ;)

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Oct 1, 2011 at 11:16:14 pm

[Enguerrand Bouillaguet] " I'm getting the pixellated edge of the QT animation."
That sounds to a wrong interpretation of the kind of Alpha Channel.
Are you exporting "Pre-Multiplied" from AE?
Have you checked the Alpha options in FC?
rafael

Return to posts index

Enguerrand Bouillaguet
on Oct 1, 2011 at 11:18:54 pm

Pre-Multiplied from AE
Where do you find Alpha options in FCP ?

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Oct 1, 2011 at 11:17:19 pm

You should not be getting that kind of degradation with Animation.

Are your frame sizes set correctly? Field order (if any) ?

Anyway..if you can find an upgrade to Studio 3, you can use ProRes 4444, which has support for Alpha Channels and keys in real time in FCP. I would not pay for an upgrade to Studio 3, though, as with the arrival of FCP-X, its a dead product.

Return to posts index

Enguerrand Bouillaguet
on Oct 1, 2011 at 11:21:45 pm

frames sized to 1920x1080 progressive in both applications

Return to posts index

Enguerrand Bouillaguet
on Oct 1, 2011 at 11:25:38 pm

The weird thing is that there's absolutely no trace of image degradation in Quicktime player the quality loss happens only in FCP, so what the hell ???

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Oct 2, 2011 at 8:58:13 am

[Enguerrand Bouillaguet] "Pre-Multiplied from AE
Where do you find Alpha options in FCP ?"

By default FC works with "Strait Alpha", so if you can export from AE that way, better.
In FCs Browser > Alpha column, you can change the clip Alpha (Strait/black/white).
rafael

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Oct 2, 2011 at 5:40:17 pm

It should look fine in FCP.

Are you Fully Rendering?
View on external monitor?

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Enguerrand Bouillaguet
on Oct 2, 2011 at 5:56:06 pm

yep fully rendered !
results equal on two different monitors...

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Oct 2, 2011 at 6:44:22 pm

[Enguerrand Bouillaguet] "The weird thing is that there's absolutely no trace of image degradation in Quicktime player the quality loss happens only in FCP, so what the hell ???"
Set the Alpha as Black, lay the clip again in the time line and render with the Canvas at 100%.
rafael

Return to posts index

Enguerrand Bouillaguet
on Oct 2, 2011 at 8:05:31 pm

More and more disturbing
Thanks Rafael but Alpha switches in FCS browser have no influence whatsoever
I've tried different methods of export in animation codec
1° Animation Quality 100 Premultiplied RGB+ Alpa Field render Off
2° Animation Quality 100 Straight Unmatted RGB+ Alpa Field render Off

When i paste it into the timeline both renders horribly in m ProRes 422 HQ progressive timeline.
But If i create a new setting in ProRes 422 1920x1080 Upper Field scan (interlaced) well the lower third from AE renders well...
And if i create a new timeline and paste in the AE rendered file FC wants to adapt the timeline to the video file settings by creating an animation codec timeline which in the video renders well too...
Anyway it seems I can't composite my motion graphics from AE in a ProRes 422 HQ progressive... I'm going insane !

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Oct 2, 2011 at 9:00:24 pm

You need to render out frame size and rate and fields to MATCH your FCP sequence.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Enguerrand Bouillaguet
on Oct 3, 2011 at 10:55:19 am

@Chris Tompkins

OK then what settings do you use in AE export dialog box to match a 1920x1080 ProRes 422 HQ progressive timeline in FCP and be able to keep the transparent background since Pro Res 422 HQ doesn't handle transparency ???

Obviously the Quicktime Animation Codec is the most used by any motion designer to render out their sequences from AE... So why my FCP is messing up with this particular codec when paste into a progressive timeline and don't when paste in an interlaced timeline ???

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Oct 3, 2011 at 12:01:18 pm

[Enguerrand Bouillaguet] "OK then what settings do you use in AE export dialog box to match a 1920x1080 ProRes 422 HQ progressive timeline in FCP and be able to keep the transparent background since Pro Res 422 HQ doesn't handle transparency ???"
You don't have to care that the sequence codec (ProreHQ) do not support Alpha.
Is the Animation file who needs the transparency.
Drag it to the Prores sequence and will work. (WHEN FC asks you to confirm the sequence settings to the clip, SAY NO).
If clip and sequence match in time-base, size, field order, etc, better.
No need to re-time, re-scale, deinterlace, etc.
But even if they do not match all the setting, the Alpha channel will work.
rafael

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Oct 3, 2011 at 3:51:00 pm

Like he said, use the Animation Codec but match everything else.

1920x1080 24p or 30p or what ever your fps is.
Drop in above your video. Render.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Enguerrand Bouillaguet
on Oct 3, 2011 at 4:03:23 pm

that's exactly what I've been doing for the last two days and the results are shown on the top of this thread...

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Oct 3, 2011 at 4:39:40 pm

[Enguerrand Bouillaguet] "1° Animation Quality 100 Premultiplied RGB+ Alpa Field render Off
2° Animation Quality 100 Straight Unmatted RGB+ Alpa Field render Off

When i paste it into the timeline both renders horribly in m ProRes 422 HQ progressive timeline.
But If i create a new setting in ProRes 422 1920x1080 Upper Field scan (interlaced) well the lower third from AE renders well..."

Make sure the Animation files shows as NONE in the Browser.
FC may be checking them as UPPER.
Make sure FC identify properly anything coming from AE.
rafael

Return to posts index

Tanner Johnson
on Apr 5, 2013 at 2:21:31 pm

I know this thread is long dead, but for all those people searching through google for the answer, this is it!

Make sure to right click on your file in the FCP Browser, go down to Item Properties, Format. From there, find Field Dominance. Right click on the options it gives you (None, Upper, Lower, Not Set) and select None.

Make sure to drag this into your timeline AND DELETE the existing footage on the timeline if you have already placed it. Render and your problem should be solved.

Return to posts index

Felipe Balista
on Sep 23, 2013 at 8:32:22 pm

Hey Tanner.

I had the same issue, and I solved it changing the Gamma Level in Format Properties.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]