FORUMS: list search recent posts

23.98fps to 25fps Conversion

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Francis Robertson
23.98fps to 25fps Conversion
on Oct 1, 2011 at 9:10:15 am

I'm really sorry if this has been posted before but I've had a good look through the archives and although there are lots of questions regarding frame conversion I can't find anything that answers my specific question.

Here are my settings..

FCP 7.0.3

1920x1080 HDTV 1080i (16:9)
Square Pixels
Upper fields Dominance
Apple ProRes 422
25fps

So, this is my problem...

I'm working in a 25fps timeline and I have two non-sync pieces of archive downloaded from getty that i need to drop in which are 23.98fps.

However when I convert them they seem to have a weird judder effect that (while probably not noticeable to the viewer at home) is not really acceptable. I've tried MPEG streamclip, compressor, and just dropping them straight into the timeline and letting FCP do it.

Whichever way I do it has the same result.

I'm hoping that, because they are just helicopter shots, there is a way of making a smother conversion by slowing down or speeding up the footage a fraction, it doesn't matter because there is no sync sound.

Hope somebody can help.

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: 23.98fps to 25fps Conversion
on Oct 1, 2011 at 3:58:25 pm

Just open and Cinema Tools and use the conform feature.
It will conform the footage instantly to 25 fps. The motion will be smooth.

Since the audio is not important, you don't have to worry about pitch shift. The audio track (if there is one) will have it's sample rate changed to a slightly odd one and you may see a render bar. Either delete the audio track or render it, if you want to use it.

Return to posts index

Francis Robertson
Re: 23.98fps to 25fps Conversion
on Oct 1, 2011 at 8:07:47 pm

Brilliant, that works a treat, thankyou.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]