FORUMS: list search recent posts

Building New Customized Editing station

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alexis Revitsky
Building New Customized Editing station
on Sep 30, 2011 at 12:50:01 am

I've been editing for a while and have finally begun putting my editing station together. At the moment I'm working on Apple Final Cut Pro 7 and need some advice on decks, monitors, etc.

My friend and I are in the process of getting a production company off the ground. She shoots on a JVC camera (the model at the moment eludes me, but she got it used about 4 years ago). I was looking at buying a HDV deck and in order to work with her camera's codecs I would need to get a JVC deck.

I'm also looking at getting a secondary monitor. I have a 17"Macbook Pro and as awesome as it is; it's hard to downsize when you're used to dual screens when editing. I was thinking about getting a small HDTV as opposed to a computer monitor because of how they read video data.

Any suggestions on what deck and/or monitors I should look at investing in?

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Building New Customized Editing station
on Sep 30, 2011 at 1:22:28 am

You should think about buying a new tapeless camera instead IMHO. No more tape... Backup instead on hard drives. Unless you have a lot of long shoots, tape really doesn't make a lot of sense.

AJA, Matrox, and BlackMagic Design all make great solutions for the ability to view externally to a TV set or video monitor. I'd look at Samsung's TV sets (27' 1080p native) great for the money if you can't go to a pro panel. (they cost a ton more for sure).

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Building New Customized Editing station
on Sep 30, 2011 at 1:55:57 am

And while you are at it...look to the future. FCP 7 works now, but it will eventually get out of date. You need to look at NLEs that will best fit your editing and delivery needs. Be that FCX, Adobe Premiere or Avid Media Composer. And then plan for your gear to work not only with your current stuff, but also to work with the new options.

Yes...look at tapeless options. HDV is a horrid format and there are many other better choices out there. Tapeless options can be MUCH better and offer better quality.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]