FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP Print to Video to Sony HVR M25AU HDV deck

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Burk Finley
FCP Print to Video to Sony HVR M25AU HDV deck
on Sep 29, 2011 at 5:03:44 pm

Hello All,

I'm having trouble with FCP 6.0.6 and the Print to Video command to a Sony HVR-M25AU HDV deck. I am printing ProRes422 files back to HDV for delivery.

Without going into the question of "why are you delivering on HDV", I am having trouble specifically with getting the deck to read external time code coming from FCP. I am working on a dual 2.4Ghz iMac running OSX 10.5.7, connected to the deck via FireWire.

I had some initial trouble getting the deck to see the video and audio from the sequence, but after unplugging and rebooting the deck, then reconnecting the FW, then starting FCP, magically it seemed to work. Also important are the following I have found:

Under Audio/Video Settings:
Sequence Preset: HDV - 1080p30 (footage was shot 29.97df)
Device Control Preset: Sony HDV FireWire
Video Playback: None
Audio Playback: default

Under AV Devices Tab:
Playback Output: Video: None, Audio: Default
Check Different Output for Edit to Tape/Print to Video
(under that) Video: HDV (1440x1080) 30p,
(under that) Audio: HDV

The clips are ProRes422, which works fine in theory, and in Sequence Settings I've gone to Load Sequence Preset and selected "HDV - 1080p30".

I then go to File->Print to Video and make the selections I want, and check the box to "Automatically Start Recording" to deck. Once I hit OK, the prompt comes up to start the output and record. I hit OK and the deck starts to record, with the audio and image showing up on the deck monitor.

HEREIN LIES THE RUB:
TC on the deck is set to "EXTERNAL" in the deck MENU->TC/UB PRESET->HDV/DV IN TC.
However, when I hit OK in FCP to start recording, the TC on the deck just flickers and quakes between 1 and 4 frames. When I playback the recorded audio and video, the same effect is present.
If I set the TC generator on the deck to generate internally, it starts at 00:00:00:00 even if I do a TC preset.

Is this an issue with the deck, with FireWire, or both? I am well aware that HDV is a super buggy format to work with in any case, but any insight would be greatly appreciated in getting proper TC onto the HDV tape.

Merci beaucoup,

Burk Finley
OSX 10.5.7
FCP 6.0.6

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: FCP Print to Video to Sony HVR M25AU HDV deck
on Sep 29, 2011 at 5:27:52 pm

YOu can only output HDV to an HDV deck via firewire. ProRes will not go. It has to be HDV, and you need to use PRINT TO VIDEO, and let it conform, then it will go.

The only way to get ProRes to an HDV deck is via a capture card.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Burk Finley
on Sep 29, 2011 at 5:40:27 pm

Hey Shane,

Thanks for the quick response. I've rendered the ProRes422 files in an HDV Sequence, then I hit Print to Video, and it begins conforming just fine. The problem is when I try to record sequence TC in the deck via Firewire. TC stutters on the first few frames during capture on the deck (Video and audio capture just fine continuously, but the TC is flickering throughout the process -- perhaps I didn't make that clear before).

When the record process is over, I can play back all video and audio frames, but the TC still flickers throughout the entire 40 second or so test clip.

Any insight? Or does HDV just suck and make posts like this more fun?

Thanks!

Burk

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 29, 2011 at 5:43:32 pm

HDV, at least via firewire, doesn't do sequence timecode. You need a higher end deck with RS-422 deck control and a capture card. Originally HDV was never intended to be used as a mastering format. And it's use as one now is RARE.

If you need sequence code, or specific timecodes, you need a capture card and a deck that will do that.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Sep 29, 2011 at 5:49:34 pm

[Shane Ross] "Originally HDV was never intended to be used as a mastering format. And it's use as one now is RARE. "

Especially since you lose a generation going to out HDV tape and then lose another generation when you import it again from tape.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new Creative Cow Podcast: Producing Episodic TV with "24" Producer Michael Klick:
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/Podcast-Series-1_Michael-Kl...

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Burk Finley
on Sep 29, 2011 at 5:52:15 pm

Thanks, that answers it.

I agree it's a weird request to hand off footage in HDV, though it's not for mastering purposes. The original footage was shot solid state, and this is an investigation into whether we can dump to our current equipment to dump to tape (no green light yet that client will accept a drive) or will have to rent a DVCProHD deck and hook to a suite with a capture card.

Most of the shows we do master in HDCAM or HDCAM SR.

Thanks again,

Burk

Return to posts index

Roger Vidal
on Oct 3, 2013 at 9:22:08 pm

I hve the exact same issue!! and I know, mow we are in 2013 but still, the client, a local tv channel, asked us to deliver a Clean in a HDV tape!!!, I can't make final cut 7 start the recording, I'll try your settings and I will let you know.

Thanks

Roger Vidal
Postproduction
909productions.tv
r.vidal@909productions.tv

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]