FORUMS: list search recent posts

fcp 7 with mini-sas cannot handle dual screen with high setting

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Susanto Widjaja
fcp 7 with mini-sas cannot handle dual screen with high setting
on Sep 29, 2011 at 11:48:01 am

Hi everyone,

I have a stardom mini-sas with raid6 configuration of 8x 2tb caviar blacks. My footage are mostly AIC footage 1080p25 and fcp is slowing down whenever I put the settings at high and editing dual screen. I'm using 8 core macpro so I don't know what's wrong because I believe the system should be able handling it very well together with the stardom. Any ideas on how to test which one is giving the bottle neck?

Currently I'm editing everything with single screen low resolution... not a nice feeling...

Thanks so much in advance

Santo

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: fcp 7 with mini-sas cannot handle dual screen with high setting
on Sep 29, 2011 at 12:35:34 pm

Download AJA system test or Blackmagic's disk speed test and see what your drive speeds really are.

On the surface, it seems your hardware should be able to handle 1080 HD, though you have not given complete specs.

Why are you using AIC and not ProRes? AIC is basically a legacy codec and inferior to ProRes in quality and performance.

Return to posts index

Susanto Widjaja
on Sep 29, 2011 at 12:47:18 pm

Thanks John,

I have tried using the disk speed test and the drive seems to be working fine...

Its only giving me problem when it comes to fcp. other than that its fine.

Im using AIC only because it is faster to transcode to from the 5d h264 files. I use prores occasionally when i'm doing bigger projects.

thanks

santo

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Sep 29, 2011 at 1:23:24 pm

Use Prores LT - you and your system will be MUCH happier!

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Sep 29, 2011 at 1:50:21 pm

[Susanto Widjaja] "Im using AIC only because it is faster to transcode to from the 5d h264 files"

Use ProRes and your system will work as it should. As you see, getting out of the gate as fast as possible causes problems on the backend.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Jon Schilling
on Sep 29, 2011 at 8:22:20 pm

Susanto,

What RAID controller card are you using?

If you're running the ATTO R680 card in RAID 6 you should be getting at least 800MB/s read/write. WD Caviar black 2TB aren't drives we recommend with the ST8-U5 SOHOTANK. We recommend Hitachi Ultrastar 2TB.

Jonathan Schilling | Sales & Marketing Manager
RAIDON-USA Technology
STARDOM Storage by RAIDON since 2000
15356 East Valley Blvd., Suite B
City of Industry, CA 91746
Tel: 626-333-7888
jon@raidon-usa.com
http://www.stardom-usa.com

Jon Schilling COW LEADER - Stardom Storage Forum

Return to posts index

Susanto Widjaja
on Sep 30, 2011 at 1:46:00 am

Thanks everyone, I will try to convert my next project to proresLT and see how we go.

Jon, im using areca 1222x. i guess its a little too late now with the hitachi. i wish i knew that earlier... nobody told me about this when i purchased it from the dealer. i think not many people are familia with the system yet. i was using hitachi 3tb at first, and then they say that the problem may be because the 3tb drives are still unstabile.. so we changed to 2tbs and i chose caviar blacks because they are the most popular..

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]