FORUMS: list search recent posts

Noise reduction in multitrack clip... tearing my hair out

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Travis Roesler
Noise reduction in multitrack clip... tearing my hair out
on Sep 28, 2011 at 9:44:06 pm

I am trying desperately to reduce the noise on every clip in a final cut sequence. I know that I have to send to soundtrack pro as a multitrack project, but I have no idea how to get the noise filter to APPLY TO EVERY CLIP!!! I can only seem to do it one at a time as an audio file project. If I have 100 clips, it's going to take me forever!!!

If someone could tell me how to reduce noise on every clip in a sequence, I could finally stop tearing my hair out.

Thank you for your help!

Return to posts index

Phil Balsdon
Re: Noise reduction in multitrack clip... tearing my hair out
on Sep 28, 2011 at 10:33:18 pm

You can apply Noise Reduction and "Save As Applescript" in Soundtrack. In Final Cut choose "Send To > Soundtrack Pro Script > "WhateverYouSavedAs"

Or if doing a Soundtrack Multitrack apply your Noise Reduction. Then in the HUD window choose Show Presets > User Presets > click the + button bottom left and give the preset a name. On the next grab from same camera take open Noise Reduction go to "Show Presets" and apply the User Preset you just saved.

Cinematographer, Steadicam Operator, Final Cut Pro Post Production.
http://philming.com.au
http://www.steadi-onfilms.com.au/

Return to posts index

Travis Roesler
on Sep 28, 2011 at 11:07:17 pm

WOOOWWWW.... Ok, I haven't tried it yet but lemme try to rephrase what you're saying.

After I apply the noise reduction in soundtrack, I go to file>save as and I select "applescript". Is there any way that I have to specify that I'm saving specifically the noise reduction?

Then, all I have to do in final cut pro is select ALL of my clips, and send to this applescript and it will know to reduce the noise in all of my clips?

If what you're telling me is true... it would be absolutely fantastic.

The other method that you mention would still involve keying in by hand 30 different noise reductions.... it makes it easier, but it would still be a pain in the butt. I must get the comprehensive adjustment to work!!!! I'll try this out right away and let you know how it goes!!!

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Sep 28, 2011 at 11:55:56 pm

Unless the background noise is the same on every clip, then you need a noise print for each clip.

Return to posts index

Travis Roesler
on Sep 28, 2011 at 11:57:36 pm

Yes, the noise is the same... its the same shot in the same room, when I refer to clips, I just meant the different segments in the timeline below.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Sep 29, 2011 at 12:07:02 am

You could edit the sound in STP and then create a mixdown of the track and noise reduce the whole track in one pass.

Return to posts index

Travis Roesler
on Sep 29, 2011 at 8:21:22 pm

Mixdown? I don't even know what that is. I exported to a multitrack project and every attempt that I made to apply a noise filter to multiple clips in the project or to the entire sequence failed miserably. The "reduce noise" tab was greyed out every time.

Is this mixdown process complicated?

Return to posts index

Phil Balsdon
on Sep 29, 2011 at 12:23:53 am

If you are just sending each grab from your FCP timeline as Soundtrack Script it will open a new Soundtrack file each time you send each script.
This will take sometime with a lot of segmented files.

If you have a lot of cuts in your timeline use the Multitrack method.

Return to posts index

Travis Roesler
on Sep 29, 2011 at 8:27:00 pm

Hey phil,

I've tried to use the multitrack method but I just can't figure it out. There was a nice video tutorial that showed me how to do this to the single audio file but I couldn't for the life of me find anything on a multitrack audio project.

I just don't know the buttons to hit, what to select, or the basic process behind it. The more that I talk to you guys, the more I realize that I don't know anything :(

I really appreciate all of your help

Return to posts index

Phil Balsdon
on Sep 30, 2011 at 12:14:56 am

Larry Jordan has some really good Soundtrack tutorials that you can purchase and download online. Since buying them a few years back I've been much more confident about sending audio to Soundtrack rather than just making adjustments in FCP.

Return to posts index

Rusty Cockrell
on Oct 23, 2012 at 10:30:11 pm

Travis,

I am having this very same issue right now. And I am about to PULL MY HAIR OUT! Did you ever figure out how to reduce noise across the entire sequence???? I'm doing it individually right now and it sucks! Any help would be much appreciated.

RUSTY

Return to posts index

Travis Roesler
on Oct 24, 2012 at 12:19:29 am

Hey Rusty,

The best solution that I've found is to export the entire audio to an AIFF file, then open that with soundtrack and run the noise reduction. Then you safe the file as a soundtrack file and just drag it right onto your final cut timeline. You might end up reducing noise on some clips that dont have the noise, but at least your voice or whatever your filming will be uniformly affected by the reduction.

How irritating is that crap though? Useless damn multitrack projects. So stupid... they just lose an incredibly important function.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]