FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Order of Operations

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Travis Roesler
Final Cut Order of Operations
on Sep 28, 2011 at 7:20:44 pm

Ok... so I've been wasting a lot of time because I feel like I've been doing things out of order and as a result, working really inefficiently. I have 6 things that I have to do with every 20 minute segment of video I take:

1. Noise reduction in Soundtrack Pro
2. Pulling successful "takes" from viewer into the canvas/timeline
3. Chroma Filter for greenscreen
4. Cropping
5. Insert backdrop image
6. Repositioning clips

This last time around, I pulled the entire clip into the canvas before selecting the "successful" clips of it in viewer using In and Out, cropped, and chroma filtered. Then I had a very pretty, long, cropped clip that WOULDN'T LOAD INTO THE VIEWER FOR SOME REASON! I lost my ability to partition In's and Out's and I couldn't edit for the life of me!

Here's what I think I should do, please let me know if you agree.

1. Noise reduction while the clip is whole
2. Select successful "takes" and pull them into canvas
3. Nest Items so that Crop and Chroma apply to all clips
4. Crop
5. Chroma Filter
6. Add backdrop
7. Reposition and resize clips to give the feeling of many "takes" in the sequence.

I haven't found it easy to apply changes like chroma fiter or cropping to clips once they've been broken up already. Will the item nesting work? Everything was shot from the same camera angle, running the whole time. I JUST WANT TO BE ABLE TO APPLY CHANGES TO AN ENTIRE SEQUENCE!!!!

Please help guys.

Thanks very much for your time.

Return to posts index

Jeff Meyer
Re: Final Cut Order of Operations
on Sep 29, 2011 at 8:49:20 am

It's more typical to do audio at the end, but if you need to apply the same NR to one clip then doing that up front works fine.

So noise reduction, then cuts, then take one clip and make your keying, cropping, and scaling effects. Copy that clip like you typically would. Select all of your other clips, hold Option and press V to paste attributes. Check the boxes you want to paste - probably Basic Motion and Filters. Now drop your bottom layer underneath the keyed video. If you have a few different scaling effects you want using different layers could be helpful. Ex.
Layer 6 - close up
Layer 5 - close up bg
Layer 4 - medium close up
Layer 3 - medium close up bg
Layer 2 - medium shot
Layer 1 - medium shot bg
Then you can use the tool on shortcut key "T" to select everything to the right for that particular layer and paste attributes to those clips.

I tend to avoid nesting sequences where possible.

Hope this is helpful.

Return to posts index

Travis Roesler
on Sep 29, 2011 at 1:41:46 pm

Holy crap... I didn't even know that most of that was possible!

Return to posts index

Travis Roesler
on Sep 29, 2011 at 8:08:44 pm

Hey Jeff, thank you so much for the reply. Now that I had a little more time to take it in, I can formulate a moderately intelligent response. I repasted your response and put some questions in bold underneath...

It's more typical to do audio at the end, but if you need to apply the same NR to one clip then doing that up front works fine.

So noise reduction, then cuts, then take one clip and make your keying, cropping, and scaling effects. Copy that clip like you typically would.

Ok... so I make my edits to once clip, then I go to edit and copy? FCP will know to take the attributes from the one clip? That's pretty cool

Select all of your other clips, hold Option and press V to paste attributes. Check the boxes you want to paste - probably Basic Motion and Filters.

Ok cool... I've had a tough time applying changes to multiple clips at a time but I was also attempting to add filters to multiple clips at a time. I clearly see the "paste attributes" tab in the FCP edit menu. So once I hit "past attributes" it will prompt me for which attributes I want to paste? That is absolutely incredible and will save me hours.

Now drop your bottom layer underneath the keyed video. If you have a few different scaling effects you want using different layers could be helpful. Ex.
Layer 6 - close up
Layer 5 - close up bg
Layer 4 - medium close up
Layer 3 - medium close up bg
Layer 2 - medium shot
Layer 1 - medium shot bg

Ok so after I have applied my filters, I put my drop JPG in there and render. Forgive me for being a novice but I don't really know what you mean by layers. Every time I need to change the size of a clip, I go to the canvas and I use the wireframe to drag it around to where I need it. A slight pain in the ass but it gets the job done. are you telling me that I can apply a specific wireframe scaling effect to a "layer" and then make that layer apply to a specific clip by using a shortcut? That would be absolutely amazing.

Then you can use the tool on shortcut key "T" to select everything to the right for that particular layer and paste attributes to those clips.

I'm not sure that I understand... I think my lack of "layer" knowledge is crushing my ability to grasp this one. I know what a layer is in photoshop!

I tend to avoid nesting sequences where possible.

yea nothing good has come from me nesting sequences either

Jeff, I really can't thank you enough... I think you've probably saved me about 30,000 hours and a lot of cursing with this one response. I wish you nothing but good things in the future. Your help is much appreciated!

---Travis

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]