FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using Paste Attributes to replace content

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jack Pinard
Using Paste Attributes to replace content
on Sep 28, 2011 at 5:53:32 pm

I have set up a timeline of clips for a program promo. The clips move on-screen by changing the scale, position and rotation in the Motion tab.

The idea was to then use those same attributes each month to create a new promo that looks exactly the same. The only thing I need to do is replace the content of each clip. So I brought a new clip into timeline, copied it. Then go to clip that is scaled etc - select it and choose paste attributes>content.

All I end up with is a clip that displays black. This happens in both FCP 6 and 7 on an Intel machine.

I know I had done this many times 3 or 4 years ago when doing promos like this.

The weirdest part is - I searched online and found 1 mention of this working on a PPC machine but not on an Intel machine. So I went back to the PPC I have sitting around running FCP 6.06 - and guess what - it worked exactly as I wanted it to.

Anyone out there - does paste attributes> content work for you?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Using Paste Attributes to replace content
on Sep 28, 2011 at 6:34:35 pm

Paste attributes content works fine. But the problem is that FCP doesn't regard the position of the keyframes as absolute. If your clips are the same length, perhaps the keyframes will end up in the same place. But if your media is a different size and length, then there's no telling.

The better idea would have been to create a nested comp with the footage in it. Then simply open the nest and replace the footage within. The nested comp shell would always be the same length and size.

Not sure why it worked on PPC. This has always been an issue for me for 10 years. Pasting keyframes is a problem too. Try clicking the little "scale attribute times" toggle on/off. But that never seemed to do what I thought either.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved