FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Pro capture problem

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Sheppard
Final Cut Pro capture problem
on Sep 28, 2011 at 4:06:59 pm

Hi there,

I'm just wondering if any of you people on this forum can help me.

I'm currently trying to capture some old VHS-C tapes that my dad asked me to put on DVD.

I have the deck setup like this - By the way, it is a standard consumer Panasonic deck, not a broadcast.

VHS deck has twin outputs, one is going to a JVC broadcast monitor, and the other is going to a Blackmagic Intensity Pro capture card.

I have got Final Cut setup to, no capture control, sequence preset, Apple Pro Res (HQ) and the capture preset to the same.

So, I open up the capture window, hit play on the deck and all I get is video & audio stuttering. There is no time as to when it does it, it is completely random.
I mean it is through the whole tape, and every tape I have. This is before I have hit the capture now button, this is just viewing it.
It is really bugging me as I cannot find out why it is doing it. 2 day prior, I was captureing some old Beta SP fine with no problem, but soon as I have plugged the VHS deck in, I get nothing but jumpy, stuttering footage.
I imported 10 or so seconds of it anyway to make sure it was just the viewer window, and even on playback it is exactly the same.

What is the most confusing of all, is the fact that the tape is fine. If you remember I mentioned having it plugged into a broadcast monitor at the same time. Watching both the capture window and the monitor, there is nothing wrong watching it on the monitor. No jumpyness, no stuttering, nothing. It just appears to be Final Cut.

I really hope I can get this sorted as it is driving me nuts! I really do not understand what is going on.

Thank you in advance for any help!

James

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: Final Cut Pro capture problem
on Sep 28, 2011 at 6:22:48 pm

It's a sync issue. You have no genlock.

That being said it is still possible.
Are you coming in via composite or Y/C ?
Are you sure the input on FCP is correct?
Can you change the VHS deck Menu settings in regards to image stabilize?

A work around is to dub the VHS to Beta then capture.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
on Sep 28, 2011 at 6:44:26 pm

I picked up a Sony DVD recorder on buy.com for $69 and just plug the VCR right into it and hit record. Works great, and every time. I can even have it put in chapter markers every 5,10, or 15 minutes! Quick and dirty. Just an option.

Tony Brittan
Owner - Island Shore Productions

Return to posts index

James Sheppard
on Sep 28, 2011 at 8:18:31 pm

Tony: Your option is a good one, but some of the tapes need editing, but thank you anyway.

Chris: I can see you point, but it is not a sync type isssue as I have captured many VHS tapes before with this system fine.
The picture isnt roolling or drifting, it literally is going black, then coming back, then black again and so on. The audio also turns off as the same time as the picture.

I dont know whether it is worth saying. I thought to myself, I wonder what would happen when I put the tape on pause. So I played the tape, had the flickering, then paused it, and the capture screen turned black as if there was no input.

To me, it seems like the capture card is activeted when the incoming signal is strong enough so when it is not, it turns the input off.
When I put the VCR in dvd mode (its a VHS - DVD player) the capture screen shows the dvd playback fine.

Return to posts index

James Sheppard
on Sep 28, 2011 at 9:00:05 pm

I have an update.

I have figured that the VHS player is at fault. I can play dvds fine and plug a camera straight in fine also.

I have taken the idea of running it thru my beta SP machine then to the computer. This idea is good and works, but the picture is terrible.

If I go straight from the vhs to the input of the beta, the picture has a black sync band thru it. So I take that signal, put it into the reference video input, the from that into the video input. This kind of works.

I say kind because there is a subcarrier phase problem. Where as the picture had a black sync band thru it last time, I still had the sub carrier phase light on to say its all in sync (I presume) and working fine.
But if I route it to the ref, then back into the input the light flickers (out of sync) and viewing the picture on a underscanned monitor, the whole picture wobbles from left to right. This I cannot use which is a pain in the ***!

So my conclusion is I basically need to borrow/buy a new VHS player. Unless someone can help me with my situation.

James

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Sep 28, 2011 at 9:33:23 pm

Do you have a Black Burst Sync Gen?
Hook it up to the edit and the beta.

Dub the VHS to the Beta - No Computer involved.

Digitize from beta to edit.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

James Sheppard
on Sep 28, 2011 at 9:50:41 pm

No I dont have a Black Burst Gen,

I was told I could just use the video out from the VHS to use as a ref input, then from the ref to the input of the Beta deck

-James

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]