FORUMS: list search recent posts

Output to Tape (VHS) Woes

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dane Overton
Output to Tape (VHS) Woes
on Sep 28, 2011 at 7:06:18 am

I'm running FCP 7.0.3 on a Core i7 macbook pro, outputting to a JVC HR-DVS3U deck via firewire and I'm not able to output to tape from the project timeline? The project is one 3.5 hour dv import that I put some audio filters on and that's it. The output device is set to FirewireDV and I'm able to see the frame the timeline is on (a monitor is hooked up to the deck), but when I play it, it just freezes on that frame. Same thing when I go to File > Print to Video. I've messed with all the Audio/Video settings, reimported my footage and tested it in other applications. It's not a setting on the deck because I'm able to output to it via Quartz Composer, and I get full quality/full framerate playback. Any info would be appreciated, thanks!

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: Output to Tape (VHS) Woes
on Sep 28, 2011 at 6:26:40 pm

You failed to mention your sequence settings....????

Does that deck have FW input? Do you have a camera w/ FW you can plug into it for another test?

Your sequence needs to be DV NTSC 48k to match.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Dane Overton
on Sep 28, 2011 at 6:57:04 pm

I'm using DV-NTSC as per the Easy Setup, and have tried the various other NTSC settings. i'm plugged directly into the deck with a firewire 800 (already tried different cord), and I tested it on a miniDV cam with the same issue. When using the deck, it seems like it's gonna work, but it just won't play. I'm only able to get a still of wherever the playhead is on the timeline. When I hit play, it just freezes on that image until I stop playback, where it finally updates the output with another still of where the playhead is.

Return to posts index

Dane Overton
on Sep 28, 2011 at 11:38:00 pm

Ahh ok, I figured it out. It was the project's sequence settings. Initially when I dumped my clip on the timeline, it prompted to match sequence settings with clip settings which seemed logical to me. But the clip's aspect ratio was 655x480 for some reason (deinterlaced?), and when i changed the sequence to NTSC DV (720x480), i was able to output to tape fine. thanks chris!

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Sep 28, 2011 at 11:38:30 pm

You cannot output to VHS via firewire. Only DV.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Dane Overton
on Sep 29, 2011 at 12:04:31 am

You can if you have the proper deck. I've got a JVC SR-VS30U which is a MiniDV/S-VHS deck with firewire in/out and can dub directly to VHS.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Sep 29, 2011 at 3:58:49 am

[Dane Overton] "The output device is set to FirewireDV and I'm able to see the frame the timeline is on (a monitor is hooked up to the deck), but when I play it, it just freezes on that frame."

View/External Video/All Frames needs to be selected. This will work if your sequence settings are correct.

If your deck has DV in/out pass thru, you should be able to record your timeline to the VHS deck.

Here is a link to the manual for the deck:
http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/inst_man.jsp?model_id=MDL101333&feature_...

Section to read
http://pro.jvc.com/pro/attributes/PRODV/manual/VS30U_3.pdf

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]