FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting Using Quicktime Conversion

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron Robertson
Exporting Using Quicktime Conversion
on Sep 27, 2011 at 2:49:06 am

Hello,

I'm having trouble exporting with quicktime conversion in FCP. The exported quicktime movie always has a dragging affect in certain parts. It's like the frame rate or dimensions aren't right. I shot in 1080/30p, and the following are the settings I'm using in QTC:

Compression: H.264
Frame Rate: 29.97
Key Frames: Automatic
Frame Reordering: checked
Data Rate: Automatic
Quality: Best
Dimensions: 1280/720

I've been trying to solve this problem for several days, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
Re: Exporting Using Quicktime Conversion
on Sep 27, 2011 at 4:28:34 am

I suggest to always export natively (without conversion...the other export to QuickTime option) and use that file as a full quality master. Then take that file into compressor to create any other encode you need.

Tony Brittan
Owner - Island Shore Productions
Posted on iPad

Return to posts index

Aaron Robertson
on Sep 27, 2011 at 4:57:49 pm

Thanks Tony. I exported it with quicktime in FCP, but the file is pretty huge (6GB for a five min clip), meaning I can't put it onto a DVD or youtube. Does running it back through conversion shrink the file any? Also, is there a "best" way to do things in conversion that will prepare the clip for DVD or youtube?

Thanks,

Aaron

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
on Sep 27, 2011 at 6:58:54 pm

Well...that is a big question and one that took me a long time and many encodes to get "just right". I would search the forums for answers that are specific to each delivery need. For YouTube, you should encode it with H.264 and tweak the settings until you get the best result after uploading to YouTube. I will tell you that there is a setting for Apple TV in compressor that works very well for YouTube and for delivery of an HD Digital file. You can start with that setting and tweak until you get the quality that you really want. The Apple TV setting will end up with basically about a 720p file. When you are encoding in Compressor, you can put in and out points in the preview window and select just a small portion of your original to do tests. That way you don't have to do the whole file each time! H.264 encodes can take a long time for high quality!

For DVD, you'll want to use one of the presets in Compressor. There settings for different lengths. And you'll find one for audio and one for video. Use them both. Then take the resulting files into DVD Studio Pro to create your DVD. There are many different things you can do to the settings to achieve better results...like turning on frame controls...but you'll have to take the time to learn what they do, when you need to use them, and why you would do so.

If you search the forums for discussions about different delivery needs and even YouTube for tutorials on on how to do them, you'll find a wealth of information. It's just part of being an editor / videographer. You have to take the time to learn how to do things.

As far as the size of the export from FCP...you WANT that huge file. That's your master and it's the highest quality version of it as it's just exactly what came out of FCP and your timeline. You use that to create your encodes for delivery. If you've used something like Prores or HDV from FCP, you won't be able to deliver them in that form unless your client has FCP as well.

Much to learn but that should get you started.

Tony Brittan

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
on Sep 27, 2011 at 7:11:30 pm

Oh, and also, some computers have trouble with H.264 files as they are pretty heavily compressed. Your file you create might have some stuttering problems on playback on your machine but it doesn't mean that it's actually a bad file. Especially if it happens on quicker pans and such. It's just the nature of compressed media. It might be fine on another computer, an ipad, or after uploading to YouTube. It just happens.

Tony Brittan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]