FORUMS: list search recent posts

NTSC to PAL is Choppy

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Gramaglia
NTSC to PAL is Choppy
on Sep 27, 2011 at 1:42:05 am

Hi all, I have a 90 minute NTSC sequence that I need to make a PAL DVD of. I exported a quicktime from FCP brought it in to compressor and put the custom best 90 min dvd setting for pal on it, compressed it and brought the file in to DVD studio pro, but when I watch the clip in simulate, the picture is choppy on fast moving video scenes. I know this is because of the 29.97 to 25 fps conversion, but is there any other solution or work around?

Thanks

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: NTSC to PAL is Choppy
on Sep 27, 2011 at 3:39:58 am

[John Gramaglia] "Hi all, I have a 90 minute NTSC sequence that I need to make a PAL DVD of. I exported a quicktime from FCP brought it in to compressor and put the custom best 90 min dvd setting for pal on it, compressed it and brought the file in to DVD studio pro, "

You can't do it all in one step and and get a good conversion. The MPEG 2 encoder is not a standards converter.

Do it in two steps. First do your standards conversion. Export your NTSC sequence and take that into Compressor. Convert it to PAL 8 Bit Uncompressed or PAL Pro Res 422. Open the Frame Controls, set the resize to Better (or Best) and the Rate Conversion to Better (or Best). Setting everything to Best takes forever and does not necessarily improve it much, so do a short test to see if Better does the job to your liking.

Take your new PAL file. Compress that to MPEG2 using the same preset.

Return to posts index

John Gramaglia
on Sep 27, 2011 at 2:33:23 pm

Hi John,
Thanks so much for your reply. It almost worked perfectly. The choppiness is gone but now the white titles over black at the opening of the piece are buzzing slightly. Is there a work around for that?

Return to posts index

Sam Cole
on Sep 28, 2011 at 1:04:18 am

[John Gramaglia] " the white titles over black at the opening of the piece are buzzing slightly. Is there a work around for that?"

That is a function of the frame blending. I always do a textless conversion and then re-add the titles. A pain in the A?!@%!!!

Sam Cole
On line Mastering Facility
FCP, Avid, Adobe
Sydney, Australia

Return to posts index

John Gramaglia
on Oct 1, 2011 at 4:11:07 pm

Thanks so much for all your help. Yes, making the non titled version and then adding the titles after was a huge pain, but it all turned out perfectly.

Thanks again,

John

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]