FORUMS: list search recent posts

Transitions Become Unrendered

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Bugera
Transitions Become Unrendered
on Sep 26, 2011 at 8:35:09 pm

Working on a MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel i7 with 4GB RAM, running 10.6.8 and FCP 7.0.3, all purchased in March. Editing from a 6TB OWC Raid 0 drive.

I regularly edit conference videos with as many as 150+ presentations (each with its own timeline and export). I edit native to the clip so no rendering is needed. Only the 10 frame fade up and fade out need rendering. I've been exporting reference movies out of FCP & converting to .flv with a third party program.

This has been the workflow on different machines and FCP versions, but suddenly FCP is throwing away my renders of the two transitions, even right after doing them and exporting. The resulting reference movies won't work in the third party program, or open correctly in QT (after about 30-60 seconds they finally open but with audio only).

Exporting as self contained movies solves the problem but is NOT an option. Takes too long and requires too much space. We used to do it that way. I do have to solve this problem very soon. Any ideas or suggestions?

Return to posts index

Mike Bugera
Re: Transitions Become Unrendered
on Sep 27, 2011 at 12:09:14 am

Here's a follow-up. I did a little test to see what was happening in the 'Render Files' folder. I dumped all the render files & started from scratch.

I rendered three timelines that had two transitions each, for a total of six render files. No problem.

I then batch exported all three, keeping my eye on the 'Render Files' folder. As soon as the batch was complete I watched as four render files vanished from the 'Render Files' folder, leaving just two render files. I looked in the trash and they weren't there.

I tried this again to three separate timelines but exported each from its own timeline, not batched. No problem. But as soon as I quit FCP four render files vanished from the 'Render Files' folder, leaving only two. Again, not in the trash.

Each time the timeline left untouched was the last of the three timelines. I'm totally baffled!

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Sep 27, 2011 at 3:32:33 am

Crazy problem. Have no idea what is causing that.

A couple of workarounds..

Use opacity keyframes instead of fades. Blade just after the second keyframe so you don't have to render the whole clip. Does this work instead of the fade effect?

If not, and its still tossing your renders...make a self contained movies of just the fade areas and cut them into your timeline. Then export your reference movie. I know...stupid...but if you need to get it done, it doesn't take very long.

Return to posts index

Mike Bugera
on Sep 27, 2011 at 6:21:06 am

I'm afraid it may have to come one of those solutions. With 65 timelines in the current project I'm on and hundreds more waiting in the wings on many other projects the thought of that is, shall I say, daunting.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Sep 27, 2011 at 12:42:20 pm

Sorry for your trouble. Wish I had a better solution. Been working with FCP since v.1 and never seen anything like that.

Return to posts index

Mike Bugera
on Sep 27, 2011 at 4:58:36 pm

Yeah, I've been with it since v. 2 and I thought I'd seen it all. Didn't realize my company has Apple Care. I'll see what they say.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]