FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting a great wmv file

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Ball
Exporting a great wmv file
on Sep 26, 2011 at 4:53:37 pm

I have a video shot on a Sony EX1. It's 4 minutes long. Exported it as a uncompressed QT. I made a larger WMV file that looks great! 640X360. But when I try to make a smaller version 320 X 180 it looks like garbage.

I've tried exporting direct from FCP using flip 4 mac, and also through MPEG stream clip. Still it looks like garbage. I also tried Squeeze. No better.

The timeline is progressive. Do I need to deinterlace the footage? What bit rates should I use? Any other advice? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Exporting a great wmv file
on Sep 26, 2011 at 5:01:40 pm

Try Compressor with the Frame Control ON.
Everything to be played on a computer needs to be de-interlaced.
QT do not supports Interlaced stuff smaller than 640x480 (or so).
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Brent Hannigan
on Sep 26, 2011 at 6:25:53 pm

I sometimes export using the iPhone setting in QT7 then take that file and export a wmv from that. Just my method for nice looking wmv.

Final Cut Pro and Avid Editor
http://www.brenthannigan.com

Return to posts index

Bill Hall
on Sep 26, 2011 at 7:57:51 pm

First try send to compressor rather than using the quicktime file. Compressor will then use the native files for compression giving you better quality.

What is the bit rate of the smaller frame size .wmv? You may need to pump it up if you have a bunch of quick cuts or camera moves in your video. Really though at that frame size even 500 kbps should look pretty good. What wmv codec are you using? Try using WMV 9 advanced, it has some extra tricks in the bag to help with smaller video.

Try some of these things out and we can go from there.

Return to posts index

Bob Tompkins
on Sep 27, 2011 at 1:11:07 pm

I do all of my HD (I am assuming you are starting in HD) to WMV using the following settings...Export using QT conversion>format windows media>options two pass VBR>bit rate 1500 kbits/sec> size whatever you want just 16x9 or 4x3>advanced input interlaced> output must be progressive

I have had very good luck with this formula which someone here gave me. I have Flip4Mac HD or whichever is the most expensive.

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on Sep 27, 2011 at 6:03:09 pm

Thanks everyone I'll give your suggestions a try and get back to you.

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Sep 28, 2011 at 12:18:32 am

doing it through compressor is not going to help as the resize options are not there like they are when you do an .mov

what I do is export from fcp as quicktime conversion and set the size to 640x360 prores codec.

take that into compressor and use a windows media preset (have flip4mac here too)

if it still looks ugly, make it closer to the size it's supposed to be when you do the export quicktime conversion from fcp.

the windows media export has no function for ensuring the resizing is good. at least on the flip4mac plugin.

Return to posts index

Bill Hall
on Sep 28, 2011 at 12:32:29 pm

You can set whatever frame size you want for a wmv using compressor. When you click on your wmv preset(which is a quciktime export component that you set to windows media) it's under the second menu "encoder". You can then go to options and set your frame size. You just can't set the pixel aspect ratio for a custom frame size.

One little glitch I've noticed using this though. If you change any parameter and save the stetting you need to go back in an reset your frame size and save again.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Sep 28, 2011 at 1:35:14 pm

[Chris Borjis] "doing it through compressor is not going to help as the resize options are not there like they are when you do an .mov"
you are right.
I haven't noticed that before.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Sep 28, 2011 at 6:01:10 pm

resizing is there yes...but no option for high quality resizing.

take any HD file and make it smaller with flip4mac...it looks horrible.

you have to make an intermediate .mov thats properly downsized first.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]