FORUMS: list search recent posts

PROBLEM CAPTURING 30p FOOTAGE

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rupert St Leger
PROBLEM CAPTURING 30p FOOTAGE
on Sep 26, 2011 at 12:09:30 pm

Hello, i have recently shot some footage with a Panasonic DVX100-B set at 30p. I use a Sony HDV 1080i deck to capture my footage. I currently use FCP version 5.1.4. I set the capture presets at 1080p 30 48 Khz. As for the other settings i'm afraid it's a bit of a mess since i have tried so many different options... Anyway here is what happens when i try to log and capture.

First the image lookes squeezed, like in 16:9 (maybe it's normal, never tried to capture in progressive mode before, then no matter what i do (capture now, or capture a batch of logged clips) the action is aborted and i receive those messages:

"capture encountered a problem reading the data on your source tape. This could be due to a problem with the tape. Capture has been aborted and your clip has been saved" (the clip only lasts for a few seconds...!)

and

"capture encountered a problem reading the data on your source tape. This could be due to a problem with the tape. To capture as much of your footage as possible please log and capture a clip that ends before this segment and another one that starts right after it"

I pre-striped my tape.

Please someone take me out of my misery!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: PROBLEM CAPTURING 30p FOOTAGE
on Sep 26, 2011 at 2:33:41 pm

[Rupert St Leger] " i have recently shot some footage with a Panasonic DVX100-B set at 30p. I use a Sony HDV 1080i deck to capture my footage. I currently use FCP version 5.1.4. I set the capture presets at 1080p 30 48 Khz"

Well, the DVX-100 shoots DV only...not HD. So the HDV settings won't work at all. You need to choose DV/NTSC as your easy setup. DV/NTSC ANAMORPHIC.

[Rupert St Leger] "I pre-striped my tape."

Why? You NEVER pre-stripe tapes you shoot with. That is a process for POST only...not production. All that does is make the tape now a USED tape, and more prone to dropouts. That's a VERY old video urban myth.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Rupert St Leger
on Sep 26, 2011 at 3:17:29 pm

Well thanks, i'll try that and will definitely have a look at your blog!

Return to posts index

John Street
on Sep 26, 2011 at 4:38:22 pm

Hi,

Not sure if this helps, but I ran into a similar problem early on ... I own a Sony M25u deck which plays DV, DVCAM and HDV ... this deck will not play ANY progressive format ... Sony eventually upgraded the model of the deck (I think to a M25ua or M25AU) which DOES handle Progressive formats.

The thing that was confusing is that the message on the unit didn't say "can't handle progressive" ...

If you're using this deck, try your footage in a different deck ...

thanks,

js

--
John Street
http://www.inpoint.tv
Mac OS 10.6.7, FCS 7.0.3, QT 7.6.6, Mac Pro 2x3GHz Quad-Core, 16GB Ram

Return to posts index

Rupert St Leger
on Sep 26, 2011 at 6:14:18 pm

Great! It worked, i always try to complicate things...thanks a lot, as for the myth it must be as old as I! :)
Sure i'll be back soon when i'll encounter all sorts of more miseries while trying to export a sequence for internet...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]