FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP Freezes For Network Activity?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dana Strom
FCP Freezes For Network Activity?
on Sep 26, 2011 at 1:57:23 am

At home I run FCP on a macbook pro which I have set to backup via Time Machine to a drive on my network. I noticed that upon each backup, I would get a spinning beach ball in Final Cut - it would always come back to life after a minute or so, but until the backup was complete - working in FCP was pretty much impossible.

Turning off my airport while working solved the issue (except I was left without internet access)

Is there a setting somewhere I can change to avoid whatever conflict is happening?

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: FCP Freezes For Network Activity?
on Sep 26, 2011 at 4:21:59 pm

Manually backup instead?

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Mark Laslo
on Sep 26, 2011 at 7:02:39 pm

I've found that Time Machine is reading off the drive and that causes it to slow down since it's either when copying to a Time Capsule or when Time Machine runs. What I do is just cancel time machine during the day and then run it during lunch and at night after I've finished editing.

My guess is that the drive that is being backed up is busy reading all the data for Time Capsule and can't keep up with both the backup and reading a video file.

I could be wrong but that's been my theory and workaround.

Return to posts index

Dana Strom
on Dec 13, 2011 at 10:09:20 pm

It's been a while but this issue is still persistent. I've just been manually syncing my Time Machine backup at home, but this same behavior is persistent with any local network activity at my work.

We do not backup to time machines (we manually backup to FW drives) - but whenever someone is pushing or pulling a file via the local network, the same problem I described above occurs.

It's not just slower or stuttery, it'll seize up and give me a beach ball for about a minute - let me play, stop but it'll freeze back up again when moving the playhead. Essentially FCP becomes unusable during any local network activity... as it's also fine when I'm downloading/uploading to the internet.

Obviously an avoidable situation... but obnoxious since I've got four edit stations without shared storage and I'm frequently sending small movie files back and forth for VFX.

Since I'm seeing it in multiple situations I'm surprised this isn't common for everyone!

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Aug 23, 2012 at 12:52:55 am

im am seeing this same issue, all of a sudden.

Any one know a fix besides being off-line which isnt possible.

Neil Goodman: Editor of New Media Production - NBC/Universal

Return to posts index

Jeffrey Lonigro
on Jan 4, 2013 at 4:57:47 pm

Same situation here. When copying files from servers to any drive inside the MacPro playback has a significant hesitation. When copying files from internal drive to drive the hesitation is there but less than via ethernet.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]